Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having an electrical charge issue!!..

Having an issue with my 86 e30,
    my car was completely dead so, I thought I had a bad battery. I replaced and it started up fine. Drove it for about a 15 mile commute. Attempted to start it back up and once again it was completely dead. Jumpstart and brought it home. Pulled the alternator off and got it checked at an auto parts store, alternator is fine!... Put the alternator back in, and replaced a couple blown fuses that I thought could have been the issue. I reconnected the battery that I had been charging through out the removal and reinstallation of the alternator (2hrs). My car started up fine and was idling good. The idle slowly started to drop after a few minutes and the car eventually died again. I checked the charge on the battery and it was dead also. I checked the fuses that had been replaced and they were once again blown. I'm thinking there is a short somewhere that isn't allowing the alternator to charge.

Anybody know what the issue could be? maybe a short? and where can it be?

inspect the exciter circuit on the alternator. D+ (small blue wire) should have battery voltage when the engine is off and ignition in run. Also confirm that with the key on run and the motor off that your alternator(small battery symbol) light is on. It should go off after the car is started.
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

What was the voltage reading on the alternator / voltage regulator?

Comment

Are your alternator brushes worn down? The alternator could be working, but if the brushes are worn down to nothing the voltage won't regulate and the car could shut down.

Comment

Working...
        X