Differential?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differential?

Hey guys i was driving home the other day when i heard a loud Groaning/Whining noise, at first i thought it was my wheel bearing but now im leaning more towards the Diff because it comes and goes. I don't think it will be the tranny, because it made the noise while the car was in neutral and in gear.

Here's a quick video. Sorry for the background noise, i had a lot of shit in the car at the time. turn up your speakers because the noise is a bit faint in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbDjJUQwnHA

The noise starts around 0:07. It is hard to hear because my windows are open i will shoot another video with the windows up but it is hard because the noise comes and goes.
    87 ETA | Hibernating

Noise from a wheel bearing can come and go whether in gear or not. Noise from the differential can come and go as a function of throttle.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
      Noise from a wheel bearing can come and go whether in gear or not. Noise from the differential can come and go as a function of throttle.
      I was talkin how it cant be the tranny because its making noise in neutral.
      It seems to be doing at around 40 mpg and also slowing down...diff?

I tried recording today but it made no noise. I took it to a friend who topped off the fluids yesterday, I'm thinking the diff was running dry.
      87 ETA | Hibernating

Comment

Update: now it only happens faintly when decelerating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        87 ETA | Hibernating

Comment

I too would guess diff troubles, especially if you are now only hearing it on decel (although it's probably there under power, just hard to hear). Maybe get someone outside of the car to have a listen and see if you can isolate the noise to at least fore or aft.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
            I too would guess diff troubles, especially if you are now only hearing it on decel (although it's probably there under power, just hard to hear). Maybe get someone outside of the car to have a listen and see if you can isolate the noise to at least fore or aft.
            It is really hard to pinpoint where it is coming from, inside or even outside of the car.
            87 ETA | Hibernating

Comment

Does it happen when you just let off out of gear and are coasting or does it increase in volume after you apply the brakes (even gently)?

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                Does it happen when you just let off out of gear and are coasting or does it increase in volume after you apply the brakes (even gently)?
                It mainly happens slowingly down from 10 to 0 gear or not in gear.
                I can be on the brake for a long time and it won't make noise until 10 mph to 0
                87 ETA | Hibernating

Comment

Working...
                X