Engine bay cleaning tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine bay cleaning tips?

Before I ask, I understand most would suggest to use a garden hose, low pressure, with soap/brush, and letting the car dry naturally however, I don't have that option.
    I live in an apartment complex and I'm forced to use a nearby care wash station with the typical 'pay-as- you-use'.
    My questions are:
    How do I clean my engine bay with a hot engine (from the drive to said station) and do I leave it running while I do so? Any tips/suggestions, do's and don'ts?
    I clean my car every Saturday and I need to clean my bay also, just not sure how. Also, I had a power steering leak, now fixed, but I need to clean all the gunked-up oil that still remains on the bottom side of the engine. How do a safely do this?

I just don't want to fuck something up or get stuck at the wash station - until my car decides its ready for use.

As always, thanks guys.

Everyone has their own view about pressure washing engines- some have had issues, others have not.
    I have washed countless engines at these pressure wash stations. I have the degreaser and a pressure washer at home now but the process is the same.
    Avoid your air filter if it's not boxed, plastic bag is good otherwise. Avoid the headers and pipes, they're hot.
    Spray for a couple minutes of the engine degreaser from all angles. top left front and right, bottom left front and right.
    Your here to clean it up and make it look good right? Then go to the dollar store and get a cheap brush to rub and scrub the areas you want to look the best- not too much effort, the degreaser is the muscle here. Just like your car though, you wouldn't spray it down without rubbing the surface because it wouldn't really get clean. Same applies.

Use your head, and you won't mess anything up.
    *Keep in mind also. The pressure washer is not used in this application for it's high pressure use. Stay back, you dont need to be crazy close to the surfaces you are cleaning. Pressure washers have a much lower gallon per minute output than, say, a hose. This is the only benefit of the pressure washer- really it's about the degreaser and cheap scrubbin.

Comment

degreaser with a white scotch brite pad and use some of those keyboard sprays to blow it out

Comment

I use a bug sprayer full of that Castrol purple cleaner, scrub brushes, scotchbrite and a pressure washer. Scrub several times before rinsing, but don't let the stuff dry.

If you are thinking about using a car wash, bring stuff to take your distributor cap off and a can of WD40.

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

If you're not doing some deep cleaning..
          Pressure wash everything after a chemical dose. Avoid fuse box and air filter.
          For entertainment, spray headers for a steam show.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I leave car running and get it hot. Spray el cheapo LA's totally awesome degreaser and hit with the hose. Come's out very nice. Dont hit the fusebox or Afm.

Keeping the engine running burns off any water in tight places. I do this about every 6 months.

Comment

I cover the important stuff with plastic bags and rubber bands. dizzy, coil, air filter, and everything else that I can fit a bag over.

Don't go crazy and everything will be just fine.
              '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
              NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
              Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Cover your alternotor with plastic as well.

Comment

I also sometimes use heavy duty aluminum foil to cover electrical connections with because it's easy to shape.
                  Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the info!

Comment

Working...
                    X