Fuel/Exhaust Smell in Cabin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel/Exhaust Smell in Cabin

I've had this fuel smell in the cabin since I got the car last month and it might be getting worse. The smell isn't quite a raw fuel smell, more of what I'd expect if a car was running rich. It's not coming in from the exhaust because having my window open helps and yesterday I put my nose right up to the exhaust and I could barely smell anything (plus it just passed PA emissions), but then I went back in the cabin and I could smell it instantly. I'm starting to wonder if I have a leak and I am just not realizing that it is raw fuel. The lines run by the driver side, correct?
    Last edited by FasterSoonerNow; 03-06-2013, 06:54 AM.

Check all of the hoses in the engine bay for leaks and check under the access cover(s) under the rear seat.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
      Check all of the hoses in the engine bay for leaks and check under the access cover(s) under the rear seat.
      Is there a good diy on this? I have the bentley so I'll pull that out this weekend.

Comment

You don't need a diy for this. Just replace all of your fuel hoses. For the rear seat, just pull it straight up then a few screws to remove the covers. Check for leakage there.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
          You don't need a diy for this. Just replace all of your fuel hoses. For the rear seat, just pull it straight up then a few screws to remove the covers. Check for leakage there.
          Will do. What would the smell be like from a leaky valve cover? I'm still thinking it might be something other then a fuel leak cause it has a mix of gas and oil. Sort of similar to running a lawn mower.

Comment

You may be getting the engine bay smell through the rubber grommet that goes around the steering shaft, where the shaft passes through the firewall.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmann View Post
              You may be getting the engine bay smell through the rubber grommet that goes around the steering shaft, where the shaft passes through the firewall.
              That might make sense. I have my driver side kick panel off because I did an of odometer fix last weekend. Might be why I noticed it was stronger yesterday.

Comment

Working...
              X