• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting issues

I just got my e30 running but there is a starting issue

If i leave the car overnight it starts first try and runs fine
    But once i turn it off i cant get it to start
    It turns and almost starts (barly hits 300rpm) then dies and i cant get it to start again. Tried putting it in gear and starting it and it moves the car but still fails to start

Hello,

Had the same on two e30's. The engine coolant temp sensor grounds in a round plug under the intake manifold. If the connections are corroded the ECM thinks the engine is cold all the time and provides a really rich mixture. Adding to this is the throttle switch which gets filled with oil. I removed the maf and air filter housing, removed the throttle body & replaced the cork gasket for the coolant hoses. Cleaned the throttle body, replaced the throttle switch and adjusted it. Using a plumbers wrench I disconnected and cleaned the round electrical connector contacts near the oil return tube. I also replaced the valve cover breather hose from the valve cover to the throttle body. Any loose metal hoses in the throttle body, I secured with lock tite bearing retainer.
    Carefully inspect the big maf boot for cracks. Once restarted and at operating temperature I fine tuned the maf mixture using propane enrichment. I also decided to install a new ect.

Comment

Smoke test is your best friend. Have a shop perform the test ASAP.

Comment

Working...
      X