Tranny fluid DIY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny fluid DIY?

Sup guys, I have an 87is, and I recently bought 2 quarts or redline MTL 90 because I figured my tranny is in need of some new fluid, anyway, I was wandering if there is any diy's for this or if anyone can walk me through this, i know it can't be that bad, thanks!
    sigpicInstagram: bir_madhatter
    Add me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/connor.mcco...57?ref=tn_tnmn

Pretty simple really. The car has to be up in the air and level. You don't want to drain the transmission and then find that you can't get the fill plug out, so remove the fill plug first. Then remove the drain plug and drain the fluid. You will have to have a pump of some sort to put the fluid in. Fill the transmission until fluid comes out of the fill opening.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Sorry for the OT, but I filled mine with the passenger side jacked up, so I may have slightly overfilled it. Could that cause the tranny to leak, because I swear mine started leaking like a bitch after that.
      The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
      Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
      2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
      2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

I didn't have a pump when I did mine, so I ran a length of hose down from the engine bay to the fill hole and put a small funnel at the top. Obviously you need to remember that the hose is full of fluid when you're filling, but it worked great other than that.
        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Here you go...took me 2 sec with Google search.

There are two basic challenges to changing the transmission fluid on the E30 for the DIY'er. The first is to find a 17mm hex (a shallow 17mm at that) to undo the transmission fill and drain plugs. The second challenge is how to actually get new fluid back in because the drain plug is surrounded

Comment

Thanks guys!
            sigpicInstagram: bir_madhatter
            Add me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/connor.mcco...57?ref=tn_tnmn

Comment

Yikes, I definitely prefer filling the funnel outside the interior...
              Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

Personally, I just use a 60 mL syringe to fill the trans.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                  I didn't have a pump when I did mine, so I ran a length of hose down from the engine bay to the fill hole and put a small funnel at the top. Obviously you need to remember that the hose is full of fluid when you're filling, but it worked great other than that.
                  Oh great idea! I had a small syringe type doohicky that I used last time. Frustrating and messy. Will keep your method in mind for next time.
                  Swanny!
                  SUCKERS.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                    Yikes, I definitely prefer filling the funnel outside the interior...
                    Why? I don't see anyway you could make a mess, unless you spilled while pouring?

Once you are done filling, you detach the funnel (with a bounty towel or similar at the tip), and then you pull the tube through the bottom. You would have to be a complete noob to even spill a drop.

Going through the engine bay requires more tubing, and more fluid waste when you pull that tube out of the fill hole hole.
                    Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
                      Why? I don't see anyway you could make a mess, unless you spilled while pouring?

Once you are done filling, you detach the funnel (with a bounty towel or similar at the tip), and then you pull the tube through the bottom. You would have to be a complete noob to even spill a drop.

Going through the engine bay requires more tubing, and more fluid waste when you pull that tube out of the fill hole hole.
                      More tubing sure, but just account for the fluid being in the tube while you pour. Much safer And less annoying than tearing up that damned annoying rubber boot.
                      Swanny!
                      SUCKERS.

Comment

What! the rubber boot can be pulled off easily. I don't see how it can be annoying...

Comment

I dunno, I'd just prefer the extra hose for the peace of mind. Works fine the other way, I just wouldn't be as relaxed about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny View Post
                            More tubing sure, but just account for the fluid being in the tube while you pour. Much safer And less annoying than tearing up that damned annoying rubber boot.
                            The rubber boot couldn't be easier to pull to the side. It is extremely elastic, and the only way it would tear would be if it was old and brittle, in that case it needs to be changed anyways.
                            Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
                              The rubber boot couldn't be easier to pull to the side. It is extremely elastic, and the only way it would tear would be if it was old and brittle, in that case it needs to be changed anyways.
                              But this is r3v.
                              Swanny!
                              SUCKERS.

Comment

Working...
                              X