wtf is this noise(suspension)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wtf is this noise(suspension)

ok for quite some time now i have had a loud clunking noise in my right front suspension. at fist i thought it was the strut moving inside the tube, but the collar seems to be tight. then i thought mybe the CABs, nope. what else should i check. could it be a bad balljoint? sounds like a loose somthing is bouncing around with every bump. very annoying. ive looked around to see if anything has been getting damaged and i havent spotted anything. any help would be great.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Someone a while back claimed it could be the steering u-joint. I have the same noise, and it's only at slow speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by permit
      Someone a while back claimed it could be the steering u-joint. I have the same noise, and it's only at slow speeds.

But you should have a lot of play in the steering wheel if thats the problem.

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
      You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

Which I do. Therefore, I picked up a new u-joint. I'll report when I get it in if it was the reason for the clunking sounds.

Comment

yes but the steering linkage is on the left side and my noise comes from the right. no excessive play in the steering. happens at all speeds
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Sounds like the same problem I have when my control arm ball joint took a shit. Jack your car up and pull on each wheel and shake on it a bit. If the ball joint is bad it should move around. If the ball joints are good nothing should move.

Comment

its your shock mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by kowalski
                its your shock mounts.
                Not in the front it isn't.

Check the ball joints and sway bar mountings. If the sway bar broke the mount off of the subframe it makes some god awful clunking. Bad ball joints usually arent that loud unless they are waayy gone.
                Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

Had this noise when I picked up the touring. EVERY bump no matter how small caused a rattle to a smashing sound coming from the right front. I only drove it from my post to the shop. Had the suspension changed out for RD and Bilstein. Turned out the right front spring had broken and was missing a coil.... I doubt thats what this is but it could be.

As stated above, jack the car up and with the tire on grab the tire at the 12 oclock and 6 oclock positions and shake up and down. If there's ANY play whatsoever you've got a bad ball joint. Check the sway bar mounts like the feller said above..... that'll get you TONS of noise also.

Comment

highly doubt the spring is broken its about 2 years old. ive got new balljoints on the way. well see if that helps any, hopefully it will, if i can scrounge up some more cash i mgith get some ST sways on there which come with mounts and stuff so well see how that goes.
                    thanks for the help
                    Chris

Comment

I love morons that buy new parts on a whim, rather then actually checking to see if they need them.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                      https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

One time my swaybar bushing took a shit and crumbled away, Thus making my swaybar bounce around inside the whole bushing housing area, making lots and lots of noise.

Comment

well jordan i have been told more than once that it may be ball joints and if its not oh well theyre 17 years old anyway they should be replaced. as for the sways they would be an upgrade over stock even if they dont fix the problem. why dont you think about it just a little more before you open your mouth for another useless comment

Comment

It could also have been the inner or outer tie rods, you should have jus get it checked out instead of buying random parts.

Comment

yeah probably, well see

Comment

Working...
                              X