Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driver's window only works with door open

Hi guys,

My E30 has developed a new quirk, which is that the driver's side window will only function when the door is open to the point that it activates the chiming sound.

Now, I know the fuses have been the cause of this issue in the past, but my fuses are fine. I switched all of them around to no avail.

Any other ideas what could cause the power window to only work when the door is open to that point? Switch works fine as well. I know the door being open/door being closed represents different circuits, but I'm not sure where to look next now that I know the fuses are fine.

Thanks,

Jeff
    Feedback: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=254176

Crazy, I have the exact opposite problem.
    '87 325is - Schwarz/Schwarz

Comment

Sounds like there must be some damage to the harness where it enters the door, or a short related to the door switch.

Comment

Theres a connection from the door to the car, remove the rubber cover and pull the plug, clean and inspect all connections and reinstall.
        -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Check the door switch, it's bound to be some connection issue there.
          I've had that issue before, but don't really remember how I fixed it.

I think the issue was that closing the door was grounding the power to the switches, are your window switches illuminated when you have the doors closed?

Comment

i have an issue with my window sometimes..sometimes it will only work if i push the passenger window button
            sigpic
            93 325i 120k
            mods: straight pipe,eibach sport springs,style 54s,kamotors carbonfiber cai,
            future mods: chip, m3 cams, headers, turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Berkut View Post
              Check the door switch, it's bound to be some connection issue there.
              I've had that issue before, but don't really remember how I fixed it.

I think the issue was that closing the door was grounding the power to the switches, are your window switches illuminated when you have the doors closed?
              Window switches are still illuminated, though I know one of the two burned out a few months ago. Not sure which one, but I did replace the button that actives the passenger dome light around the same time and all works well.

I'll pull apart the harness as well, but does that tiny button - the one that actives the light and the chime - play a role here?

Comment

Originally posted by K20RI_211 View Post
                Window switches are still illuminated, though I know one of the two burned out a few months ago. Not sure which one, but I did replace the button that actives the passenger dome light around the same time and all works well.

I'll pull apart the harness as well, but does that tiny button - the one that actives the light and the chime - play a role here?
                I'm pretty sure it did in mine, if I remember it correctly it was connected to a relay in the steering column and it interfered with the power window button feed, but they weren't lighting up.
                However, that was a such an electrical clusterfuck that I forgot half the electrical problems I solved.

But it's actually the only bit that will change state when you open the door if your wiring isn't short circuiting, so I would look there first.

Comment

the lights don't light up on my window switches and my windows work fine. check that harness, its either cracked and only making connection with pressure, or the female/male plugs are corroded. Toothbrush and some electrical cleaner
                  1991 318is ---230K - DD
                  1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                  so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Originally posted by jrobie79 View Post
                    the lights don't light up on my window switches and my windows work fine. check that harness, its either cracked and only making connection with pressure, or the female/male plugs are corroded. Toothbrush and some electrical cleaner
                    Cool - thanks!

Off-topic, but the snow tires I bought from you worked out great.

Comment

Working...
                    X