Hunting idle on warm starts - 325E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting idle on warm starts - 325E

Some background, the vehicle is a 1987 325E in relatively stock format with 208k well maintained miles. I picked up the vehicle from the previous owner back in January and he said it had had some issues with idling in the past, he swapped out a few different computers into it, gave me 3 extra ones with the car in the parts box, haven't touched any, haven't needed them.

Anyways this issue is very very occasional, it's happened 5 times within 3,000 miles.

Upon starting the car it will slowly rev till around 3k once, once it hits 3.2k or so it will drop to 1k revs and hunt to 1.2k then back 1k and back to 1.2k without any throttle input at all. This issue has only happened on warm starts, after running the car on the freeway for example, doing an errand then starting it again. The first two times it was in wet/rainy weather so I thought it had to do with moisture, but the past 3 times it's been completely dry out. Leading me to post here.

To resolve the issue I would turn the car off let it sit for about five minutes and it would start and idle normally and perfectly.

Has anyone had this issue before? What could this be?

Thanks
    À la folie

Meant to post this in the M20 section...
    À la folie

Comment

The first actions should be a smoke test to check for intake leaks, a check of the operation of the idle switch in the TPS, cleaning of the ICV, and verification of correct operation of the cold start system.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
        The first actions should be a smoke test to check for intake leaks, a check of the operation of the idle switch in the TPS, cleaning of the ICV, and verification of correct operation of the cold start system.
        Correct me if I am wrong.

But aren't these solutions if there were to be a consistent idle issue?
        À la folie

Comment

Originally posted by 6SPD View Post
          Correct me if I am wrong.

But aren't these solutions if there were to be a consistent idle issue?
          The cause could be intermittent.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Bump, any other thoughts?
            À la folie

Comment

Working...
            X