Aux fan nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aux fan nightmare

I've spent hours on the interwebs searching and have come to this so sorry if this has already been disccussed somewhere.

86 325es
    I bled the coolant, installed new aux fan resistor, and the in raidiator temp switch. All the fuses I can visually inspect are intact. I'm not sure about k1 and k6. The aux fan operates at both low and high speeds when I jumper the connections behind drivers side headlight so I'm assuming the relays are fine. I'm stumped here and I'm starting to think the new temp switch from pelican parts is to blame.

Thanks in advance.

Whats the problem exactly? Does it turn on when you hit the A/C switch?
    -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

It does not but then again my ac isn't charged not sure if that matters. The button however does illuminate.

Comment

Does the aux fan only come on when the ac is on? I was under the impression it aided in cooling. I'm gonna weep a little on the money I spent on all of the new parts if this is for an uncharged ac system. Or rejoice n go spend money on something I need down here in SD anyway lol. I'm more focused on getting her fully functional before spending money on guilty pleasures though lol

Comment

When A/C is not in use the aux fan is a "cooling fan of last resort" If the rest of the cooling system is operating properly the aux fan will never come on unless A/C is in use.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Using the stock temp gauge when would that be. I freak when it starts to creep past 1/2 towards to 3/4 in city driving/idling in traffic/drive through. I feel dumb. Sorry and thank you.

Comment

The AC doesn't have to be charged but at least 1 of the 2 lower vent sliders has to be more than half-way open and the AC (blue) button depressed (and possible the blower turned on to at least position 1) to make the aux fan operate on low speed.

Comment

If temp's getting that high you have other cooling issues. Have you checked the cooling fan clutch?

Comment

Generally temps will hover a bit over halfway.

As jlevie said, assume the rest of the cooling system is up to snuff... Aux fan will never come on.
                  Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
                  -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

I will check the fan clutch thank you! Only part of the cooling system that hasn't been replaced is the radiator.

Comment

Working...
                    X