My old enemy returns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My old enemy returns.

So ever since i've had my car it has never been friendly with staying cool at idle. I noticed the temp creeping ( not over heating )at a light once so i changed the thermostat the next day.. It fixed the problem for a few months and it happened again, i noticed a hole in my radiator so i assumed it was the radiator. After changing it, and bleeding it, the temperature still climbs. Mind you my temperature gauge does not work so i use an aftermarket one supplied by the P.O. I tried the newspaper trick on my fan and the fan did not stop spinning. I tried it at 180 degrees fahrenheit. Also i assume that once my car is hitting 210 it is beginning to over heat. I cannot find any reliable evidence of what the actual operating temperature for an e30 is.
    87 ETA | Hibernating

Might wanna try getting a different temp gauge, the aftermarket one might be giving false readings.
    I have friends who are EOD bro.

That's awesome. I have friends who make coffee for a living, but you don't see me rocking out a bunch of lattes

Comment

I believe 200 F is right in the middle.
      80 C (like your stock t stat) = 176 F, which is when it opens.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ADlBOO View Post
        Might wanna try getting a different temp gauge, the aftermarket one might be giving false readings.
        Thats what i was thinking too, but I'm pretty sure it is accurate, because when I'm cruising it stays at 170 (which is the 1/4 mark) and all e30's that ive driven have stayed constantly at the 1/4th mark while driving.

Originally posted by ak- View Post
        I believe 200 F is right in the middle.
        80 C (like your stock t stat) = 176 F, which is when it opens.
        My non-e30 friend says that his car's operating temperature is 215 and told me it's sounds normal. So i may just be paranoid.
        87 ETA | Hibernating

Comment

I think 180 is a good temp I don't run a t stat in mine and the highest it gets is 190 and that at 20 min of idle, I normally run around 150-160 on the freeway

Comment

While 210 seems to be overheating, certainly not optimal but its really not that terrible.

Water boils at 212. With a proper mixture of anti-freeze you should be boosting you boiling point to about 230.

195-200*F would be considered a optimal operating temperature for the M20.

What is your average operating temperature cruising on the freeway at 60mph?

Do you have the original fan shroud, Also in the front of the radiator in the core support area there should be a deflector on each side to ensure that all air flow will be pushed through the radiator.

If your missing these pieces it could contribute to slightly higher operating temps.
            www.facebook.com/E30motorwerks

Comment

Originally posted by Pdxseth View Post
              I think 180 is a good temp I don't run a t stat in mine and the highest it gets is 190 and that at 20 min of idle, I normally run around 150-160 on the freeway
              180 is when it idles for about 5 minutes, if i let it sit for 10+ it will start hitting the 200's. The highest i let it touch before shutting off the engine was 210.

Originally posted by RobertC View Post
              While 210 seems to be overheating, certainly not optimal but its really not that terrible.

Water boils at 212. With a proper mixture of anti-freeze you should be boosting you boiling point to about 230.

195-200*F would be considered a optimal operating temperature for the M20.

What is your average operating temperature cruising on the freeway at 60mph?

Do you have the original fan shroud, Also in the front of the radiator in the core support area there should be a deflector on each side to ensure that all air flow will be pushed through the radiator.

If your missing these pieces it could contribute to slightly higher operating temps.
              My freeway temp is usually around 165.

I have the fan shroud but I'm not sure what pieces you are talking about that are supposed to be deflecting, any pictures?
              87 ETA | Hibernating

Comment

What's the ambient temperature when you've been testing the idle temperature?

Comment

Originally posted by eskimo810 View Post
                  What's the ambient temperature when you've been testing the idle temperature?
                  Well it's been hot this week (80's) But I tested it at night when it's cool. Also when I took off the hood, I let it idle for 10-15 and the highest it hit was 190, I think it is an issue with air flow. I'm considering taking out my hood insulation because it is in terrible shape anyways
                  87 ETA | Hibernating

Comment

So I found out it was yet another faulty thermostat. Today I was coming home from lecture and while I was warming up I noticed that it warmed up quicker then usual and started heating up. I checked the top hose and it was super hot whole the bottom was cold.

Any reasons why my thermostats keep taking shit ?
                    87 ETA | Hibernating

Comment

Made in China, perhaps?

Comment

Well when I bought it the guy said it was oem.
                        Last edited by e30Villain; 04-30-2013, 06:57 PM.
                        87 ETA | Hibernating

Comment

Wahler thermostats are 35+ shipping. We use them all day and haven't had any trouble with them.

Comment

That's the one i just installed today. Took me 2 hours to replace because i snapped a bolt inside the housing. Temperature is still on the high side i think, hopefully my temp gauge is just off.

I just ordered a normal temp gauge from a forum member, i'll post results after i install it.
                            87 ETA | Hibernating

Comment

Working...
                            X