installing a differential.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing a differential.....

so, im getting ready to install my used 3.23 lsd out of a z3 into my 325e this weekend and was glancing through my bently when i saw it called for new locking nuts. not too specific on which nuts, nor what type of nuts they are. can someone share some knowledge with me on what i need to do? i live in isolation land and am close to 80 miles from the nearest bmw dealer, so id like to be able to get some sizes and just go to a hardware store and pick up some nuts....if thats possible? also, can someone tell me exactly how the process of changing this beast will go? are there any real trouble areas i should prepare for? thanks -jon

they are talking about the nuts that connect the driveshaft to the input flange
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

differntial swap article
      -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

The diff was one of the first "car mechanic" things I ever did. It wasn't too hard. Oh, and I've taken out those nuts and reused them so many times its not even funny. If you cant replace them right away, no worries.

Comment

i have another good question. i just put the differential in my trunk because im about to take it to a buddy's garage and swap it in. i am 100% positive it is in fact lsd. the case however, has an R stamped on it in green with a box. not being familiar with newer bmw shit at all, im just wondering if that is the stock differential case for that gearing or if maybe the guy had new gearing installed. i also found out this diff came out of an m coupe, a 99 i believe. ive done all the tests and it is a true 3.23 lsd, im just wonderign about the case?

Comment

Working...
          X