Airbag Wheel Removal Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbag Wheel Removal Question

I just bought a MOMO Fighter and hub for the e30 so im going home this weekend to put it on. Since my car is a 91 i need to remove the airbag wheel. I have heard that you need to disconnect the batery for a few hours before you remove it so the system is disengaged. Is this true? Im just a little weary since i dont want the thing Poofin' on me. Also other then disconnecting the batt where are the connecting points (wires and bolts) that i need to remove to take it off?

I also have a new reiger lip so ill be selling my "is" front lip if anyone who reads this is interested.

TIA

Andy

You ought to talk to Rob on this board. He installed a Momo in his 91 318is and should be able to give you some help on removing the airbag wheel.

Comment

yeah, its not a big deal. You can disconnect the battery if you want to be extra safe. Also be sure to disconnect the power from the airbag with is a connection inside the small door on the bottom of the steering column. I just did that, and the airbag didnt blow. You also need a torx t25 bit i think, like a star shaped bit, there's one on each side of the back of the steering wheel. remove those, the airbag assembly will come off, then just use a 22mm socket and extension to get the wheel off. Let me know if you need a more in depth explaination
      BEERTECH

Comment

Re: Airbag Wheel Removal Question

Originally posted by KillerCalypso
        I also have a new reiger lip so ill be selling my "is" front lip if anyone who reads this is interested.
        good luck, I hope yours lasts longer than everyone else's. I just found an old piece of mine the other day

Rob's right about the airbag, just disconnect that orange plug and you should be fine

I cropped the + wire for the SRS overhead light because there was a non-removable bulb that was on in addition to the removable one

Comment

Working...
        X