New to the board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the board

Hey guys, I just found your forum today and noticed there was some good info on the E to I swap. I bought an 88' 528e as a daily driver for $500 about three months ago and I have noticed it had the Super ETA M20 engine.

So far I have bought the following:

325i intake manifold
    325i throttle body
    325i afm boot
    325i 3 bar FPR
    325i injectors
    325i ECU with stock AND upgrade chip
    325i head (shipping as we speak)

My question is, what am I missing? Do I really need a 325i AFM?

My other question is, I have an automatic, is there any way to adjust it to shift at the new redline?

Thanks,

Mike

Do you live in San Marcos?? I'm up in school now in Pomona but i live in La Costa. San Marcos is like 5 min. away. Post some pictures of your car.

Comment

an "i" auto tranny chip from an 88 325i or is should do the trick for your tranny. You'll want to get one of those chips to bump your r3v limiter up on the ECU too.
      My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

Yep, san marcos CA.. I go to la costa every sunday to play basketball. Here is a pic of my 528e:

I also have a 97 M3:

So, trannys had chips back in 88'?

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

get a 535i AFM from an m30, injectors also if you can... that little bit of fuel and air will help it breathe better up top, especially with a chip

Comment

Originally posted by Bryson
            get a 535i AFM from an m30, injectors also if you can... that little bit of fuel and air will help it breathe better up top, especially with a chip
            fuck that. if you're going through the trouble to build a stroker, get a MAF and an SMT6 to tune it.

Comment

I got an m30 AFM and injectors for free :oops: heh, that's much less trouble than SMT6 and MAF ;)

I'd also note that the stroker I built was from an 88 528e ..cool.

Comment

ha ha... No, I am not in the mood to spend a bunch of cash on a $500 beater. This just seemed like a good way to:

A.) get some experience rebuilding a head

B.) give my lowly 528 a few extra ponies

C.) provide me with a great excuse to drink some beer and listen to country music

This is el cheapo, I bought the 325i intake manifold, throttle body, injectors, and regulator for $75 and the ecu for $75. I found a head for $250 shippend and am planning on putting the minimum amount of new parts to get it running.

More of a fun project than building a racecar (especially with an automatic).

Once it all works, I will probably take it off and sell it as a working kit on ebay...

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mikeinsanmarcos
                  So, trannys had chips back in 88'?
                  Most automatics were mechanically controlled. A few were electronically controlled, but ASFAIK no one ever made a chip for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryson
                    I got an m30 AFM and injectors for free :oops: heh, that's much less trouble than SMT6 and MAF ;)

I'd also note that the stroker I built was from an 88 528e ..cool.
                    Injectors :shock: free? haha, good deal, that kinda means you got 21.5# injectors for free?

oh wait, the $6 shipping fee...... :P Ha, I still appreciate my 19#ers and new o-rings, thanks.

Mike, have fun building up that stroker! You seem to have done good budget shopping for upgrades!

Comment

Thanks guys, I will try to get some pictures of the progress and throw up a how to site for those with a budget.

Another question... Are the 325i headers the same as the super eta headers?

Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X