Removing Rear Window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Rear Window

So I need to replace my rear driver's side window motor because it's absolutely dead. The Bentley manual says to roll the window down to gain access to the bolts that secure the glass to the regulator.

How do I roll the window down when the motor is shot?

Also are the steps really that different between the front and rear windows? The Bentley says that the rear is different, yet doesn't profile how to do it.

You should be able to just unbolt the motor then manually slide the window down
    Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
    Bimmerbuddies LLC
    717-388-1256
    2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
    bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

I think this is the tool needed to move window up and down when the motor fails. I'm sure there is some other tool that someone has come up with for this.

This is the tool I believe is used to roll window up and down when motor fails. Someone else might chime with the correct answer.

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
      sigpic
      Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

I think you use the z allen wrench from the tool kit to roll it down.
        Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

Where on the door is the allen wrench bolt located? I just ran out to mine and couldn't find it. I assume its on the motor but couldnt find it.

Thanks for the help so far everyone

Comment

I dont know if your car has a Allen key hole, that was on early models only and might have only been on the front. I would remove the door pannel and use a 1/8 ratchet with an extension to remove the two torx bolts holding the motor to the regulator. Then the window is free to move up and down
            Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
            Bimmerbuddies LLC
            717-388-1256

Comment

On the link I posted above they mention that the plastic tool is for early models and the 8mm (I think) socket is for the later model E30s.

I haven't yet needed to fix any of my windows so I wouldn't know exactly what is needed to be done.

sigpic
              Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Poorboyz View Post
                On the link I posted above they mention that the plastic tool is for early models and the 8mm (I think) socket is for the later model E30s.

I haven't yet needed to fix any of my windows so I wouldn't know exactly what is needed to be done.

The plasic tool is for e28s. The early e30s use the Allen key, and late e30s don't have an acces hole to use anything.
                Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
                Bimmerbuddies LLC
                717-388-1256

Comment

smokeE30 can you elaborate on separating the regulator from the motor? I'm not sure I'm following.

So here's what I'm looking at, I can't find the bolt that will manually rase and lower the window or any real access to the bolts that are at the top of the door frame. The bolts that are exposed are the door handle, motor, and top and bottom of the regulator. Everything else is pretty hidden.

The car is a 1991 318i.

Thanks again for all the help so far

photo
                  Last edited by markd248; 07-15-2013, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Those 3 bolts to the right of the door handle hold the motor in place remove them and see if you can remove it or if there's 2 small torx bolts holding it in place from underneath like the front setup
                    Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
                    Bimmerbuddies LLC
                    717-388-1256

Comment

Working...
                    X