Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you fix a sticky rear defroster switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you fix a sticky rear defroster switch?

It's stuck when I push it in and I have to fuss with it to make it pop back out. When I pull the switch out from the panel I can just push it in and out fine, but once it's put back into the panel it's stuck. There any way to fix it or just have to get a replacement?
    sigpic

Sounds like the panel is too tight. If you cant get a cheap replacement from the u-pick-it or ebay (10$ or so), and you are careful you might file the opening of the panel a little so it doesnt push in on the sides as much. Just an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by browntown
      Sounds like the panel is too tight. If you cant get a cheap replacement from the u-pick-it or ebay (10$ or so), and you are careful you might file the opening of the panel a little so it doesnt push in on the sides as much. Just an idea.
      I'll double check some more about the switch to make sure it's 110% fully functional outsid ethe panel, if that's the case then I'll fine the panels a little down with a filer and see how it reacts. Appreciate the advice :)
      sigpic

Comment

dood don't screw w/ a bad defrost switch...they can get stuck on and break you back window if left on for a long time. I would just pick up another switch...a good used one would be fine.
        Last edited by asubimmer; 02-08-2006, 02:33 PM.
        ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

I agree with ASU. I've heard too many of the broken rear window stories. I'd just replace it.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
          When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's £3.95 per minute.
          "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson"
          Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Comment

Well if the switch sticks on, then snap it out and unplug it. Find something to swap it with and see if it still does it. Mine does sometimes.
            Old and improved:

Comment

The switch isn't timed is it? I don't see how the glass would break because of the switch.
              I've heard of it breaking because of the line repair paint.

Comment

they can get stuck on while the car is off...
                ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

But the switch only gets power from fuse 8 in the run position. I just looked at the diagram. Can't work with the key off.
                  sorry for the thread jack, lol.

Comment

I don't know how but it happens...

Comment

Mine turns off when the car is off. My button also gets stuck sometimes. I just punch it with my thumb and it pops back out.
                      -Brandon
                      '86 325es S50
                      '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                      '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                      '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                      S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Originally posted by DaN
                        But the switch only gets power from fuse 8 in the run position. I just looked at the diagram. Can't work with the key off.
                        sorry for the thread jack, lol.
                        Yeah this is true. I always end up leaving mine on when I leave the car. As long as there are no shorts going on you'll be fine (this applies to any switch).

Comment

Happened to me too, get a new switch, expensive, but so is rear glass.

Originally posted by asubimmer
                          I don't know how but it happens...

Comment

Working...
                          X