Helicoils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helicoils?

Anyone here used a helicoil to fix a pwnt spark plug hole? Do they work as a long term replacement?

I have no experience actually using them, but guys here at work have, and they say they work great for spark plug holes. I use them in a lot of parts I design, and they are actually stronger than a tapped thread.
    -Brandon
    '86 325es S50
    '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
    '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
    S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Well i'll let you know how it goes, hehe.

Comment

Timecert > Helicoil.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
        https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
          Timecert > Helicoil.
          Timecert cost > Helicoil cost

Comment

Timecert- the shit. the shop uses them on EVERYTHING, as they are much better than stock threads in an alum. head.

Its worth the cost, seriously. helicoils are weak and will eventually strip out again.

but then again, this is r3v. so, just wrap your sparkplugs in ducttape and that should hold 'em in place long enough.

kyle
            1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
            DILLIGAF

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer8604
              just wrap your sparkplugs in ducttape and that should hold 'em in place long enough.
              that's what i do.
              -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Originally posted by MrTom
                Timecert cost > Helicoil cost
                Like BMW's you get what you pay for.
                E30 325ix 62k

Comment

but then again, this is r3v. so, just wrap your sparkplugs in ducttape and that should hold 'em in place long enough.

kyle
                  But wouldnt you want to use electical tape? You know, cause of the electricity? :p

How much would a timesert cost to have installed if i just took the head somewhere that could do it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                    Timecert > Helicoil.
                    That maybe true but Time-sert > all

threaded inserts threaded, stripped threads, threaded inserts, blown out sparkplugs, stripped threads, stripped out theads, inserts threaded inserts, ford sparkplug repair, threaded insert thread repair spark plug ford blown, blew out ford sparkplug, stripped theads, threads stripped out, threaded inserts for stripped threads, repairing stripped threads, thread repair kits and inserts, repairing sparkplugs threads, sparkplugs threads have stripped out, screw thread inserts, striped out threads, threaded inserts, automobile threads blown out, motorcycle threads stripped out threads, not helicoil use time-sert thread repair, screw thread insert, inserts for screw threads, screw thead inserts have stripped out

Comment

you can leave the head on the car to do timeserts... unless its allready off the car.

I think my buddy paid like 200 bucks to have all 6 plug holes done in his s52...

kyle
                      1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
                      DILLIGAF

Comment

Originally posted by arsevader
                        That maybe true but Time-sert > all

http://www.timesert.com/
                        Ok, i looked around and the only thing i could find was a timesert spark plug repair kit on ebay, for $220 shipped. That's 3 times what i paid for the m42 that needs the plug repaired.

I'll stick with helicoils thank you very much.

Comment

goodluck with that.

seriously, do the timeserts.

kyle
                          1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
                          DILLIGAF

Comment

goodluck with that.

seriously, do the timeserts.

kyle
                            would i need the 14mm extended or regular timeserts?

Comment

not sure on the m20, but i think they give the measurments u need. your best bet would be to call a shop to see if they've done it before. usually race shops are your best bet, as they have experience doing it. its very easy and expensive to mess up your head, i wouldnt try it myself. i would say the regular should be okay. im not trying to MAKE you do timeserts, but helicoils are weak,and your chance of messing the threads up again are a lot higher. its much better to just rethread them correctly the first time.

kyle
                              1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
                              DILLIGAF

Comment

Working...
                              X