Swap, 325is→318i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swap, 325is→318i

I bought a 87 325is 5sp (totaled) and I am swapping all the good stuff to another E30, (1984 318i 5sp). I have a couple E28's and E36 but I wanted to see what all the fuss is over E30's. LOL So im rebuilding one. Its gonna stay mostly stock where I can. I know there are those that would want to see me do a M30/50 build but IM NOT! (this time).

So any advise on tech issues I might have would be helpful!

Your only challenge will be dealing with C101.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

The suspension on the 325is will be a little beefier than on the 318i, so you may want to consider swapping that over with the engine. I haven't done this myself, but I can't imagine swapping in another engine that came factory will be too difficult.
      What it feels like owning an e30:

88 325 S50 swap in progress
      90 325ix

Comment

Looks like a fun project! The early 318i is lightweight and will be a good slug of fun with a stock M20.

As e30jake said, the 325is suspension is beefier, with 51mm strut tubes vs. 45mm strut tubes, and the rear disc brake trailing arms are a worthy upgrade from the rear drum brakes on the 318i.

The issue will be connecting a round C101 to the rectangular plug C101 as found in the 318i. I think you should be able to get a pinout by searching r3vlimited for "rectangular C101".

Originally posted by whysimon
        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Thanks guys, I plan to swap all brakes and suspension. The donor car has Bilsteins also. I know the rear suspension arms are different, but im planning to swap the whole rear subframe and I can do the subframe bushings too if the PO didnt already. (It was a well maintained 325is).

Comment

PS. real,oem says the front subframes have different part numbers. Are they really different?

Comment

Working...
            X