E30 won't start please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 won't start please help!

So I just got my friend to buy an e30, has 240k miles on the stock m20 purchased from the original old lady in Sacramento. It's been garaged it's whole life but has been sitting for 5 years on none op. We happened to be in the area and ended up buying it and I drove it home to San Jose (about a 150 mile drive) and it made it just fine. Then we parked it for 10min in out friends driveway to show him the car, started fine. Then we turned it off again, to restart it 5 min later to be on our way. It didn't start first try but started second time around and made it literally around the block and when I put it into second the rpms just died and will NOT start anymore. It cranks over and everything but isn't starting. I know that theres still gas and the fuses look fine. Possibly fuel pump? Timing belt snap? It looks to have a small oil leak too. Any help is appreciated cause he needs it ASAP. Thanks

Oh forgot to mention, tried to jump start it as well

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
    1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
    1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
    1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
    1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
    1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
    Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
    1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
    1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

You can take.out the rear seat and smack the fuel pump cover to see if it starts that way. Or if you have a circuit tester see if fuel pump relay gets power while cranking. Also try pulling one spark plug wire, put a spark plug on the end, hold it near strut mount nut and crank the car over to see if yer getting spark.
    IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

The first check would be to see if the cam is turning when cranking the engine. If it isn't the timing belt has failed. If the belt is good, check to see if there is spark when cranking. If there is, the next thing to check would be to see what the rail fuel pressure is.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

If the cars been sitting for 5 years it probably has bad fuel. Fuel lines clogged? Fuel filter, injectors...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
        sigpic
        Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

+1 on jlevie and Poorboyz. I'd look for cam rotation then check fuel pressure at the rail. The other things as mentioned above. Any number of fuel related items could have failed after five years.
          90 325i DD/Track
          03 Durango 5.9

Originally posted by e30mpg
          It is recommended to get new gasket but this is R3v and we just copper spray that shit......slap biotch on and tighten to tq.

Comment

Originally posted by KIRIEIW
            Thanks guys I'll be checking all that today, and for the gas she said it was drained and the fuel in the car is about 2 weeks old. Also the gas needle goes wacky going back and fourth and not giving a acurate reading but I'm just guessing its the si battery's or the back nut on the cluster which provides the negative needs to be cleaned

Comment

Clutch goes the the floor and gets stuck now... I'm hopping the Clutch cylinder didn't just fail and that it's air in the lines or something.... Also spark plugs spark, looking threw the oil fill cap I see cranking so the timming belt wouldn't be shot. But I removed the fuel line that goes strait into the intake manifold and put the line into a cup and no fuel would go threw the hose so it's definitely a fuel issue, just not sure if it's a pump or hose

Comment

Could be fuel filter. If it sat that long, good idea to replace filter. Also, you can put 12v directly to the pump to see if it runs. That would verify the pump functionality. If the pump doesn't run it might be a pump issue, or it could be a relay or wiring issue.
                90 325i DD/Track
                03 Durango 5.9

Originally posted by e30mpg
                It is recommended to get new gasket but this is R3v and we just copper spray that shit......slap biotch on and tighten to tq.

Comment

Working...
                X