Fan Clutch Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan Clutch Question

Hello, I need to replace my fan clutch, anyone have a good write up or experience with this install? Thanks.

very easy to do without the radiator in.... and also easy to be done without the fan on..... fan held to clutch with hex head set screws (5-6mm i think) take that off and the fan shrowd.... get a wrench thin enough to fit between the clutch and motor, and put two of the set screws back in the old fan clutch and put a pry bar between them to keep it from rotating (hopefully you are throwing this one away)..... be carefull not to bend that shaft, its not easy to bend the shaft, but the clutch is on there pretty tight.... putting the new one on is simple, just thread it it and snug it down, because the dirrection the motor rotates it will not back off, and that is the main reason that it will be soo tight.

good luck.... if i didnt explain it well enough, send me a PM, or something

http://www.westwerksauto.com

Comment

You should be able to just hit the end of the wrench with something to get the clutch to start unthreading. Don't be shy, give it a good whack.
      -Brandon
      '86 325es S50
      '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
      '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
      '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
      S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

thanks, I heard you can have someone crank the motor for you to loosen it

Comment

All I used was an adjustable monkey wrench..don't forget it's reverse threaded :idea:

Comment

Working...
          X