Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp control -> heating valve voltage

Hi all,

I'm troubleshooting my car is constantly blowing hot air. I took the dash apart and have located the internals of the temp control knob. I can see that the knob is connected to a cable which mechanically operates some flaps. That part looks ok. I probed the two electrical contacts on the knob by measuring the electrical resistance and found that it acts like a switch (10% of the range (cold) gives a closed circuit and the other 90% (warm-hot) is open circuit).

Issues:
    I disconnected the two wire harness connected to the heater control valve by the footwell and the voltage always reads 0V no matter what position I turn the temp control valve. It's supposed to be 12V when knob is cold and 0V when knob warm-hot. Strange considering my knob is correctly acting like a switch. Why is the voltage always 0V at the heater valve?

Thoughts:
    1) There may be some kind of short to ground somewhere which is forcing everything to 0V

2) 12V is broken somewhere

Help:
    Does anyone have any experience with this? I measured the voltage at the contacts on the temp knob and it always reads 0V so even if it's acting like a switch, it's just switching between 0V and 0V. Should it be reading 12V or maybe 5V for a relay?

Thanks for any suggestions/links/photos/etc...

-jeff

It sounds like there is a wiring fault that is not providing power to the temperature control. It is just a switch and the temperature is regulated by the blend doors in the HVAC unit.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thanks. I figured it was a wiring issue. Looked at it again this morning and it seems something is still off. My 12V is apparently shorted to ground :(

I also found these which may be useful for anyone else facing a similar issue.

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103864 -- wish there was a higher resolution version
      Last edited by kungfooren; 09-10-2013, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Use the ETM for your car from http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thanks!

Turns out there is a 2A in-line fuse between the temp knob connector and the heater valve (solenoid). I replaced it and now I have the proper voltage. Unfortunately, my heater valve looks like it's busted. lol.

Comment

Working...
          X