Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Definitely bad heater core, maybe causing no start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely bad heater core, maybe causing no start?

Ok, so this sounds weird, but here it goes.
    I just got my car on the road and noticed a assload of coolant on the driverside floor. Now I know for a fact there is a hole in the floorpan and there is a leak from the side of the heater core. Now here is where it gets weird.
    When I drive up a REALLY steep hill the car sputters and dies out. Last time it happened I looked under the car and saw coolant dripping from around the transmission area.
    This week I have developed a strange no-start/start deal going on with the car. It seems like after I have been driving the car for a while and let it sit over night. The next morning it will crank but wont start. I leave it alone and let it sit for a day and it fires right up and runs like a champ the whole day.

So heres the scenario.
    Is it possible for the coolant thats leaking from the heater core to drip out of the rust hole in the floor and drip on the crank sensor causing the no-start and then once it dries off, it starts fine again?
    Or do I just have multiple problems?
    Thanks for reading, I know its long.

Two separate problems. Crank sensor is on the front of the engine, so it is well out of the way. There is nothing under the car near the firewall that would prevent the car from running if it got wet. Not to mention, anything under there gets wet every time it rains.

Comment

Its an 86 ETA. What about the reference sensor in the bell housing?

Comment

All those sensors still get wet when it rains, so...

Check them for frays in the wires though. If the insulation is broken/missing, it could be doing funny things.

Comment

Damn, thought I had it, lol. The thing runs fine for a day (or two). Sometimes I get a jumping idle, like the ICV is wonky(I cleaned it and tested ok) and then WHAMMY. For no good reason, it'll crank and not start. I DID notice that it seems to not start when its cold out. Tested the temperature time switch and it had continuity when closed. Any ideas?

Comment

So I went out to work on the car this morning. It was maybe 45ish degrees outside. No start. So I hit the internet and came back outside later on when the sun was shiny and a little warmer. Car fired up and it looked like there was water dripping out of the tailpipe.

Checked the connections to the two bell housing CPS sensors. The one was pretty cruddy and corroded, so I cleaned that out.
            Noticed a small amount of fuel on the intake manifold under where the TPS is.
            So I took the airbox and the elbow of and immediately dripped a good amount of oil/fuel all over. It almost looks like fuel is coming back into the elbow from the ICV? Is that possible? I mean it was all in the elbow and down in the AFM.
            WTH???
            I also noticed that both the TPS side and the plug side of the TPS were soaked.
            I noticed that the mix screw on the ICV was also all the way in. I backed it out about 2-3 turns.
            So I seems like the coolant/heater core issue is separate and the no start issue is separate. But do you think what I just described is another separate problem or would that cause a no start in cold weather? Winters coming and this is concerning.

Comment

Working...
            X