Where to set up front jackstands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to set up front jackstands?

i'm not sure where a safe place would be to set up front jackstands. pictures would be very helpful. also, is it ok to set up the first jack stand with the other side of the car still on the ground? or should i use two jacks to get both ends a little off the ground first?

Jack on the center of the front subframe. This will raise both sides of the front uniformly.

Place the jackstands on the frame rail, behind the control arm bushing.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

i dont think i can get my floor jack to the center of the subframe, even from the side my car's too low, and i dont have ramps. also does frame rail run along the side of the car and have that square indention close to the front wheel, and would i have to use that to jack the car up as the alternative to the subframe?

Comment

why dont you drive the front wheels onto boards... stack the boards as needed.... common sense here...

always try to jack a car evenly, from the center.

e30's are a unibody design, they have front frame rails, in the engine bay, and rear frame rails under the trunk, but everything else is part of the body.

the metal square you are talking about is not ideal to jack on, it isnt all that strong in the first place, and on cars that have been weakened by rust, it can and will cave in.

Comment

Use two little slabs of wood or concrete to give you clearance....drive onto them and you put your floor jack underneath...DO NOT USE A FLOOR JACK ON THE FACTORY JACK POINTS OR ANY PART OF THE UNDERBODY....I've seen and heard of too many near fatal cases...

Worst case scenario use your factory jack to raise one side a little bit and then you can get the floor jack underneath

Comment

ive heard of the jack going through that metal sqaure also and know to place the jack stand there, but is it alright just to use it to jack the sides of the car up? i really dont have enough space to stack the slabs of wood, but can probably make it work only if it is absolutely necessary to do so instead of jacking up one side at a time.

Comment

Matt.. seriously, I have to admit I'm laughing my ass of at how feeble you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                Matt.. seriously, I have to admit I'm laughing my ass of at how feeble you are.
                :roll:

wtf do you expect? a year ago i had no experience or knowledge about e30's or working on cars in general. ive been able to pull off alot alot of basic stuff on my own, except i know that i'm better off asking even stupid questions just to get things done right. believe me, i know you dont have alot patience with people trying to learn, but the "i'm better than you" attitude is really childish and doesnt belong on a site dedicated to help other people. i could go on, but i know i dont have a argument since this is your site. however thanks for your previous replies

Comment

Originally posted by MattM20
                  i really dont have enough space to stack the slabs of wood, but can probably make it work only if it is absolutely necessary to do so instead of jacking up one side at a time.
                  dude... think about it. go to home depot, get two 2"x6"x12" pieces of wood, and see if you can make some sense out of this.

HINT: you will only need 1 foot or less of space to accomplish this, and your car is magically a couple inches higher to get the jack under the subframe.

Comment

Originally posted by e304lyfe
                    Originally posted by MattM20
                    i really dont have enough space to stack the slabs of wood, but can probably make it work only if it is absolutely necessary to do so instead of jacking up one side at a time.
                    dude... think about it. go to home depot, get two 2"x6"x12" pieces of wood, and see if you can make some sense out of this.

HINT: you will only need 1 foot or less of space to accomplish this, and your car is magically a couple inches higher to get the jack under the subframe.
                    i would deffinately need more than a couple inches to have room for the lever. it would probably easier to find someone who has ramps and borrow them. i only got garage space to work with, my drive way is too short and a has a too steep of a grade to it.

Comment

get the wood blocks.
                      stack one smaller in length on top of the longer one on the bottom. (Thus 2 pieces of wood stacked ontop of each other and staggered so they for a "step" like shape)
                      Back your car half out of the garage, now place the blocks where you want your front tires to be when you jack it up.
                      Now drive your car up the blocks.
                      Enjoy the extra space to slide jack under the car...
                      Below the radar...

Comment

Working...
                      X