replaced rear Window...lock-strip Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replaced rear Window...lock-strip Help.

My rear window cracked becuase of sun or because someone thought it was funny to break my window (no sign of impact and window still up but cracked...very wierd) So i purchased one for $23 at a junkyard and replaced it yesterday.

*cleaning after broken glass = no fun

Its all installed except for the locking strip of plastic that goes on the gasket around the rear window....HOW does that go in?? i know how it works and is supposed to fit, but i just can't get it in! HELP PLZ what did you do?

thanks,
    -etxx
    No more e30s for me.
    88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
    88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
    91 BMW 325i [sold]
    86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Somewhere there are some pics (somewhere) of a homemade tool consisting of a screwdriver (butt end) and a wire hanger looped as a guide. seems as if the hanger curves the strip upwards as you press the screwdriver to seat the strip. I imagine a fair amt. of force os needed.

or bmw makes a tool for it. $$

Comment

Bavarian Auto Sports sell a tool for $18 thats made for that
      sigpic
      Wastedincome420@yahoo.com

CURRENT STOCK LIST:
      00' e38 750iL HighLine=Highway Queen
      92' e30 318 vert=Aint going anywhere
      91' e34 535iM=Aint going anywhere
      91' e34 525iA=For parts
      92' e34 535iA=For parts

Comment

I just use a flat blade really. It takes longer but I like it better. I have the tool and screwdrivers ;)

just take your time
        ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

On a related note, are the lockstrips still available and cheap? Mine look like ass and when I take the glass out for painting, I'll want to get new gaskets and lockstrips.

Comment

Originally posted by browntown
            On a related note, are the lockstrips still available and cheap? Mine look like ass and when I take the glass out for painting, I'll want to get new gaskets and lockstrips.
            Available, but not cheap. You're looking around $50 for each window (front and rear).
            sigpic

Comment

damn, was just hunting around pelican and there are lots of little pieces that go around the glass, and the price starting adding up quickly. Will have to evaluate when I get to that point in the project.

Comment

I see, any of you have a picture or a link or something related to any mothod of placing that lock strip??

i tried using two screw drivers, one to lift up one side or the gasket (other side already in) and the other screw driver to push the little tab in and it didnt work out like i wanted.

tips and pics much appreciated. TY!!
                No more e30s for me.
                91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

just hijacking a pic from "surprise" the very first thread result for a search, keyword "lockstrip"

Comment

Ive given up on this job, its seriously the biggest pain in the ass Ive ever run into in our cars. I even bought the tool from Bav and after 3 hours of getting at most 4 inches of my lock strip in, Im saying fuck it and bringing it to a body shop
                    Back to my roots

Comment

Originally posted by FifeDog236
                      Ive given up on this job, its seriously the biggest pain in the ass Ive ever run into in our cars. I even bought the tool from Bav and after 3 hours of getting at most 4 inches of my lock strip in, Im saying fuck it and bringing it to a body shop

Use a silicon spray or soapy water on the seal and locking strip... makes a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by FifeDog236
                        HAHAHA, I know how you feel, I went a whole year with out front or rear lockstrips on my car because the job was such a pain
                        1987 325is - sold
                        2001 330i - New DD

Comment

... i still haven't been able to put it on becuase the screw driver/wire-hanger method is useless. bmw wants a whopping 7xdollars to put my lockstrip on. whuhooo!!

might as well buy the tool and not suffer as much jaja
                          No more e30s for me.
                          91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

If you really cant do it just go to an automobile glass place. One quoted me 20 bucks to put one in. I dont consider that a deal but its sure better than 70.
                            1987 325is - sold
                            2001 330i - New DD

Comment

Working...
                            X