quick question about fuel smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quick question about fuel smell

i just installed a K&N drop-in, and i changed my oil from regular 20-50 to 10-40 mobil synthetic blend the other day.

I noticed lately (like as of past day or so) that i have a slight fuel smell. Just enough to give me a headache. It isn't from the exhaust, but from somewhere in the engine bay. It was too dark to investigate farther... what should i look for in the morning? i hope i didn't do something stupid...

thanks in advance!
    Michael Spiegle

'01 Ford Escape / Daily Driver
    '99 M3 / Track Car
    '87 325is bronzit / wtf car
    '06 Daytona Triumph 675 / Daily Rider

May not have anything to do w/ your mods but just as a pre-cautionary messure check your fuel lines. I had one come loose on me once. Almost a bad situation.

Comment

yeah, i'm thinking it wias either random, or i bumped something.

thanks.
      Michael Spiegle

'99 M3 / Track Car

Comment

ok, so i took a quick look under the hood.... i'm pretty much a newb, so i don't know what to look for.

I saw the hose that connects to the fuel rail, it looked pretty intact. It went under the intake manifold somewhere... it was hard to see without light.

I'm gonna take another light down to my garage now. Since i don't know a whole heck of alot about fuel systems, what specific areas do i need to check? is the fuel rail and whatever is connected to it the only thing?

thanks!
        Michael Spiegle

'99 M3 / Track Car

Comment

all the hard fuel lines end at the drivers side frame rail in the engine bay.

this is where the rubber lines connect to. one goes to the charchol canister, one goes to your FPR, and another goes to your fuel rail. very easy to track down. have a good look, with the engine running if possible (may only leak with pressure)

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
          https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

could be an injector seal failing. Perhaps the fuel dampener in front of the drivers side rear wheel. looks like a small FPR
            Nick

87 325 5MT
            02 IS300 5MT

Comment

yeah, it was really simple guys... I just couldn't tell without proper light.

basically, where the fuel line comes in and connects to the injector rail - the metal hose clamp was on so tight (i didn't do it) that it ate up the hose and a crack in the line allowed fuel to escape.

I unscrewed the clamp, and i couldn't pull the hose off the rail. So, i cut the hose off, then cut the bad part of the hose off the rail connector, then hooked up the fresh part of the hose to the rail, put a better hose clamp on, and voila, no more smell.

thanks guys
              Michael Spiegle

'99 M3 / Track Car

Comment

Working...
              X