Wiring Route for Fuel Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring Route for Fuel Pump

My fuel pump has seen a number of electrical issues over the years, most having to do with proper grounding. After a number of patches and jerry-rigging, I'm at the point of saying "screw it, rewire it". However, the wiring promptly vanishes under the seat sheet metal and I'm not sure where it pops back out again. In hopes of avoiding tearing into every wire bundle in the car searching for a match, I'm hoping someone can tell me where these wires surface again.

Thanks!
    -------------------------------------------------
    1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
    2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

The fuel pump wires are routed down the left side of the car along the sill and covered by the carpet. They run up the left rear fender, through the rear bulkhead and from there to the pump(s). The ground is beside the left fender in the cabin.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thanks for the info! My carpet and insulation isn't in the way do this should be easier.

Magenta is the ABS wiring, green is the grounds, so is it in the large blue bundle coming from the trunk, or the small yellow set? When looking in the trunk it's hard to tell where all the blue bundle might go besides the radio and lights.

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

Ground wires in a BMW are brown. I don't remember what color the fuel pump wire is, though it is probably in the ETM and can be found from looking at the pump connector.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion, but my colors were meant to correspond to the arrows in my image, not to wire colors in real life. Most of the wires have a plastic shield over them, and if rather not rip into them unless I'm sure they contain the wires I need. But maybe that's the easiest way. I can always tape them back up later I guess.

sigpic

Comment

Ohm out the power wire for the fuel pump with at least one end disconnected. And do the same for the ground wire. That will tell you if you have a wiring problem.

Comment

Working...
            X