help me solve drivetrain vibration/thumping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help me solve drivetrain vibration/thumping

So my car has recently developed a drivetrain vibration that sometimes becomes more severe and turns into a thumping noise.

Speed has no effect, throttle input (accel/decel) has no effect, clutch engage/disengage has no effect.

When I first noticed it I thought it was my right rear tire. Cruising at around 55mph, pull over, check the tire, no sign of anything abnormal.

The noise comes and goes, sometimes minor vibration felt through the seat. Other times its a severe thumping that makes me want to slow down.

The car is an s50 swap with all new guibo/csb/rebuilt driveshaft/bushings etc.

My thought is that the driveshaft could have been mis-balanced causing a pre-mature CSB failure.

Could a bad CV-joint cause this? I noticed the clip on the CV boot is missing, possibly letting in water/salt/sand while dropping grease.

This is all I've got, thanks for reading, any help or question appreciated.

-Scott

s50 | e30

You have stated the following:

1. Noise comes and goes....drivetrain vibration that sometimes becomes more severe and turns into a thumping noise.
    2. Speed has no effect.
    3. Throttle input has no effect.
    4. Clutch engagement has no effect.

Outside of a rogue subwoofer, I find it unlikely that all four of the above items are completely true. Further road testing and observation are probably needed before anyone is going to diagnose this for you via the internet.
    1989 Bronzit 325i

Comment

So, turns out the u joints on the driveshaft are shot along with the csb. Being sent out for a rebuild now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

s50 | e30

Comment

Working...
      X