To repair or not to repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To repair or not to repair

I have a 1988 325IX. Back in December, I slid on some ice and banged up both the front and the back end of the car. It's all body work, but it totals about $4000. That's (generously) about the value of the car.

I'm just interested in opinions about whether I should bother with repairs, or sell it on the cheap. It's an IX, so it's somewhat rare, and quite nice to look at when it's not smashed to hell. On the other hand, I've had to pour money into it even before this latest problem (replaced the transfer case, the shifter, master cylinder, and an ignition sensor, to name only a few repairs), which says to me that previous owners didn't take good care of the car. So not only am I tired of investing in it, I feel like I can expect that to continue.

Or can I? In your opinion or experience, have I gotten over the hump (having already fixed the transfer case)? Is the IX enough of a collector's item for me to hold onto it? Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

pics would help in determining if its' worth to fix.
    www.instagram.com/snwmble
    #snwmble

Current:
    '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
    '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
    '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
    '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
    '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
    '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
    '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
    '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

A busted up and repaired anything has pretty much zero collector value. Google 'sunk cost' for advice on what you should do next.
      '90 zinno 325iS

Comment

I say it depends on how much you love the car. If it was me, I would strip the car and look for another one. The spare parts can be used on a new one if needed. You may get lucky and find a nice one with a blown transfer for a real good price.
        sigpichttp://www.germanaudiospecialties.com/

1986 325es :early:

Comment

Working...
        X