E30 idiling way too high.......i beleive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 idiling way too high.......i beleive

I just got the car a few months ago ( too late to drive due to winter season and body work) and it has been sitting down during the winter and i just brought it out.

I have an 89 325is

Here are my questions......

1. When my car is idiling when i am stopped, it is idiling at 1050 RPM?

----- Should it be this High?

2. I just drove it on the Highway for the first time.........when i am in 5th gear, driving it around 80 mph (130 km/h) the rpm guage reads that the engine is reving at 5000 rpm........is this right?

3. Sometimes when i start it it won't start, i would have to crank 3 or 4 times before it starts.

Any help would be great!!!!
    sigpic

There's something wrong with the way your car revs, and it's not just the idle. At 80 mph in 5th gear on a 325is (assuming 3.73 diff), you should be revving at 3200-3300 RPM.

Comment

well i just got it recently, and the previous owner didn't mention of a tune up recently?????????

I know the previous owner installed S50 fuel injectors about two years ago, but thats it for a tune up.

I took out the idle control valve and found oil in it?????

Cleaned it and also checked for a vacuum leak, it only dropped 50-100 rpm at idle.
      sigpic

Comment

When did you adjust the icv at all?

Sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by Magic_Black
          2. I just drove it on the Highway for the first time.........when i am in 5th gear, driving it around 80 mph (130 km/h) the rpm guage reads that the engine is reving at 5000 rpm........is this right?
          Sounds like a slipping clutch. Only thing I can think of that would cause this, unless your tach is completely off.

Comment

adjusted the icv, didn't do much.

I changed my dash three times before i found a dash that works.

My buddy was driving with me and said my car didn't sound like it was reving high when i compared it to the tach.

Maybe mine is messed.
            sigpic

Comment

When you changed the cluster, did you also change out the coding plugs for the tach?
              85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

I took it to lakeside motors in scarborough and one of the technicians checked it out.

He revved it to a certain point and said that at 1000 rpm the engine should sound like this, when i checked the tach it said almost 2000 rpm.

So it has to be my tach.

When i bought the car the back of tach was all burnt and the some fuses in the fuse box melted after changing the fuse box, doing all that wiring and trying three other tachs i finally got one that works.

I was told that maybe some of the wires leading to the dash is probably coroded and thats why its giving me the wrong info, so now i am going to check all the wires leading to the dash and see if any of them are coroded, saulder them back and try it again..........Hopefully this will work......Crossing fingers!

---- Can u explain to me exactly what is the coding plugs?
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X