Downshifting at speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downshifting at speed

I noticed while driving home from work that when I am going above 70 and floor the gas my car downshifts (its an auto) into 3rd. Why?

Are you pressing the pedal down pretty far? There is a kick down switch under the gas pedal which will downshift the car if your press the pedal down far enough.
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Yeah, that's normal.

It's called a "passing gear" by BMW. :roll: whatever. All it does it downshift the car to a gear where it's in teh top 1/3rd of the torque band.

If you're cruising at any speed about 35 and floor it it should do this, really.
      My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

gotta love the 5spd :). Greatest feeling to downshift and floor it yourself, then pass everyone next to you

Comment

Yeah, I can fel the switch kick in, is it supposed to do it at any speed? Going 80 in 3rd gear is no fun...

Comment

That's the kick down switch yeah or passing gear like Bimmerphile said

if you floor the pedal the engine will rev up till the redline
            if you want pass a car with a speed of 60 in 5th with a manual you will also downshift that's the same story

1989 E30 318iS_______________________________1989 E30 325iC M-Technic I
            1997 E36 328iT
            1990 E30 325iT 24v SOLD
            1989 E30 325i 2.7i M-Technic II SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Matto
              Yeah, I can fel the switch kick in, is it supposed to do it at any speed? Going 80 in 3rd gear is no fun...
              then don't floor it at 80... when you floor it, it'll downshift to accel faster... if you're just cruising, you'll upshift to keep the engine at a lower and more conservative rpm.

it's like any and all automatic cars made today...

Comment

Working...
              X