tranny question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tranny question

Hey, i had my auto tranny im my 88 325is rebuilt at Mr Transmission. It shifts smoothly and fine... But it has this problem, on the interstate going about 70-75 mph, it will shift out of OD into 3rd and make the rpm's rev up and stick around 4 1/2 when it should be riding at about 3k rpm's at 70-75ish. Anyhow, Im not flooring it or anything to trigger the kickdown switch, it just rides fine for about 5 minutes then slips out of OD. I've tried gooseing it and it still wont shift back into OD. The only way to fix it is to pull over, shift it into park, then back down to Drive. Or to pull over and turn off the car and restart it. After that it seems 90% of the time to work fine the rest of my trip on the interstate. I tried driving it with Mr Tranmission, but it never did it, you all know how that goes, the car never acts up for the mechanic. He said he has no idea what would be wrong, any of you have any ideas? Its driving me ape shit, it makes me want my money back from them. I just need some ideas of wtf is wrong.

take it to some other tran shop and have them look at it. make sure you can trust them and if they find something wrong take it back to mr. tran so they can fix it.

Comment

Hey

I dont trust any tranny shops around here, thats why I went with a nation wide chain. Afraid of fly by night places around here. Anyhow, I already paid Mr Tranny $1,650 for the rebuild. Its sooo annoying. I dont see why they cant fix it without it doing it to them, why cant they just take my word for it that it is acting that way... grrr

Comment

Do you've checked your fluid level ?

1989 E30 318iS_______________________________1989 E30 325iC M-Technic I
        1997 E36 328iT
        1990 E30 325iT 24v SOLD
        1989 E30 325i 2.7i M-Technic II SOLD

Comment

Re: Hey

Originally posted by HowzeR
          I dont trust any tranny shops around here, thats why I went with a nation wide chain. Afraid of fly by night places around here. Anyhow, I already paid Mr Tranny $1,650 for the rebuild. Its sooo annoying. I dont see why they cant fix it without it doing it to them, why cant they just take my word for it that it is acting that way... grrr
          For $1650 you could have a manual. ;)
          I'd be more leary of a national chain than i would of a local shop.
          Check your fluid level. When it was rebuilt, did they change the filter as well?
          Below the radar...

Comment

"I dont see why they cant fix it without it doing it to them, why cant they just take my word for it that it is acting that way... grrr"

How do you fix a problem if you don't know what it is. Unless it happens to them there really isn't anything they can do becuase they dont know. You telling them is a LOT different from them feeling it. If it is a problem leave the car with them for a couple days so they can drive it a couple times.

It could be a misadjusted band, bad govenor, bad servo, etc.

But I do agree with the fact that I would be more inclined to trust a small shop than a national chain. A small shop NEEDS your business, with a national chain you are just another invoice number. If you shit talk them all day long it won't effect there bottom line.

My suggestion is to remain cool and let them have the car a couple of days, If there is indeed a problem they will find it.

Good Luck
            Robert
            85 325e

Comment

hey

I let them have it for 3 days... They claimed it never did it. I rode with them twice, the car never did it for us... Then that day going to and back from work the damn car did it twice...... I found that if I shift from Park back to Drive it seems to correct the problem.... wonder whats going on :\

Comment

Working...
              X