Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant in the drivers footwell

What I found out so far:
    • Its one of the components of the heater core.
    • The car had AC, so its not a monumental job, but I haven't checked yet.
    • The coolant is pouring down above the gas pedal.
    • The coolant light above my head is on.
    • I don't know where to check for the proper coolant level.
    • I don't know where to add water/coolant.
    • The car is blowing heat normally, and there is no leaks under the car - So i assume that te problem is nr. 16 (http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3...er/#1386707_16 - the valve
    • Do I have to change the pipes too? (nr. 4 and 5?)
    • I found this on r3v http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=98782

I don't want to stroll off and buy a $200 valve, just to see I screwed up and something else is leaking. :)

Thanks for the help.

do a visual inspection first. follow that r3v link and take the console off to see if it's the valve, the core or the pipes leaking since they tend to corrode. it's a pretty easy job overall despite the mess.
    sigpic

Comment

I'll take it apart today to check, will report back with pictures =)

Comment

Add coolant to the orangeish/yellowish yet clear (probably if it's old as shit anyway) bottle either near the passenger fender or your wipers.

Comment

Took some images:
          I think it's the valve, since its covered in coolant residue.

Comment

Pictures are broken

Comment

Safe assumption, but I'd still do the core while I was at it... maybe even the pipes.

Comment

Ya, if the valve is shot (as your pic shows) the core is likely rotten too, do both.

There are two different versions, make sure to get the right one.

Good luck!

Luke

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I got a used valve, core and the aluminum pipes. Got some o-rings as well. Whats left is to disassemble the mid console, so I can get to the goddamn thing =) Will take pictures.

@Stereoinstaller
                  There are two versions yeah, but as stated before, the car had AC, so its the aluminum pipe version and the cassette core ;P

@JinormusJ
                  You can't see the pictures? Curious .. I can see them fine.

Comment

The two versions were 2 bolt or three bolt and had nothing to do with the car having AC or not...all E30s use "cassette core"

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

I thought you were referring to the two different versions from the non-AC and AC cars. Sorry =) I was under the impression that you can't easily remove the core in an non-AC car.

Comment

Changed the valve with a "new" used one.
                        Had to destroy the aluminum pipes, cause the coolant hoses were seized on :/ Good thing I had spares.
                        The core actually looks fine, so I didn't change it. Put everything back together and tested it.

Now it doesn't blow hot (and I waited for the car to warm up) even though the pipes were hot to the touch.

The other thing is - when I let the car warm up and then stopped the engine, the valve started leaking again (the new used one). Everything else was fine. It leaks at the exact same spot as the images above have shown the old one has.

So now i caved in and ordered an OEM new replacement. Hope this one won't leak.

Btw, when taking the console apart I found this:

Anyone knows what this is? It looks like an aftermarket alarm box or something. Its connected to the small red led light by the cigarette lighter.

Comment

yerp, my guess is cheapo aftermarket alarm too

Comment

No guess, that is a "proximity" sensor

Closing SOON!

Comment

Proximity sensor? It was under the console, how could it "sense" anything? =D
                              Good to know, I'll remove it with great joy.

Comment

Working...
                              X