Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does my car shuts off while I'm driving??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does my car shuts off while I'm driving??

Hello, I want to start the conversation saying I have a 1987 325e bmw. Anyways I was driving one day and everything seemed good and all of a sudden my car turns off. I hurry up and turn the car on while it's in motion. I was confused why it did that. As soon I was approaching the red light, I put my clutch and brake to brake and the car shuts off again. This is the second time this happened. Would anyone know why? Maybe from overheating?

Tps or main relay.

Comment

Originally posted by tytypetersen View Post
      Tps or main relay.
      What does Tps mean? Still learning lol.

Comment

TPS = Throttle Position Sensor.

But you need to be a bit more specific about what you were doing when it shut off the first time. A car stalling when you come to a stop is completely different from when a car shuts off when you have your foot on the gas pedal.

A car stalling at a stop light could be a number of things relating to the car not getting enough air/fuel mix at idle, but a car dying while you have your foot on the gas could be pretty much anything OTHER than that.

I'm guessing the first time it died, you had your foot off the gas and you pushed the clutch in. This is not the same as your car dying while driving. That was your car dying at idle and is the same thing as a car dying at a stop light.

Comment

Originally posted by Liquidity View Post
          TPS = Throttle Position Sensor.

But you need to be a bit more specific about what you were doing when it shut off the first time. A car stalling when you come to a stop is completely different from when a car shuts off when you have your foot on the gas pedal.

A car stalling at a stop light could be a number of things relating to the car not getting enough air/fuel mix at idle, but a car dying while you have your foot on the gas could be pretty much anything OTHER than that.

I'm guessing the first time it died, you had your foot off the gas and you pushed the clutch in. This is not the same as your car dying while driving. That was your car dying at idle and is the same thing as a car dying at a stop light.
          The car shuts off when my foot is on the gas pedal. It happened again while I was on the highway. Also I want to say that when I want to start my car it doesn't turn on. I would have to pump the gas pedal to make it work. A friend of mine said it may be the fuel filter??

Comment

Check the ground wire that connects your oil pan to your chassis.
            You'll be able to see it from the driver side engine bay.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Working...
            X