Aux fan resistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aux fan resistance

What are the values of the auxilary fan resistor? How many ohms of resistance does it need and what Wattage is it rated for? I broke mine and I cant find any values for the stock resistor.

bump.... anyone got an idea what the fan resistor is? Does it say on it. I dont have one to look at.

Comment

I think it's 6 ohms. When my resistor broke, I just bypassed it and replaced the 7.5 amp low speed setting fuse with a 30 amp fuse. Now the fan can only run at the high speed setting, but that doesn't bother me.

Comment

Hmm... thanks for the help with the resistor. Now I think I have a bigger problem. I wired the fan relay directly to a switch on my dash with a 30amp circuit but I keep blowing the fuse after the fan runs for a few minutes (20 or so). I only have it wired to run on the high speed but it seems to draw too much current because it blows the fuse

Comment

I was hoping you would have better luck than me, so I didn't tell you the rest of the story. I was blowing the fuse with the stock fan after a while as well, most likely due to the fact that the fan was old and worn out so it didn't spin as freely as it should. I bought an aftermarket fan and wired that in. Now everything works fine.

There's also an article in the "BMW Enthusiast's Companion" on how to refresh an old aux fan for that reason. I didn't bother because even with that procedure, it's not guaranteed that the fan will work properly.

Good luck.
          Last edited by DoriftuEvo; 05-21-2006, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X