Car keeps dying after releasing throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car keeps dying after releasing throttle

So I am in Iowa and we had a snow storm. But I've drove my e30 in colder weather and this problem has never occurred before. When I drive and release the throttle the car stalls. But when I start the car it starts normally. So as long as I keep stepping on the throttle it does not stall. I do not know what is causing that to happen. Really need help. This is my daily driver.

Check your fuel filter/pump and make sure that the car has proper fuel pressure. Check your FPR. Check for vacuum leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by E21newb View Post
      So I am in Iowa and we had a snow storm. But I've drove my e30 in colder weather and this problem has never occurred before.
      Correlation is not causation.

When I drive and release the throttle the car stalls. But when I start the car it starts normally. So as long as I keep stepping on the throttle it does not stall. I do not know what is causing that to happen. Really need help. This is my daily driver.
      What year is it? does it have an erratic idle?

Comment

sounds like a sticking idle control motor ,remove and clean it ,then lightly oil with WD40
        Angus
        88 E30M3 X2
        89 325IX
        92 R100GS/PD
        :)

Comment

It's a 1987 325is. My idle looks fine, doesn't move much. But when I listen, the car sounds like a damn tractor. I don't see any leaks of any kind(unless I didn't look hard enough). The vacuum lines all look fine. Not driving my E30 makes me sad :(
          Last edited by E21newb; 02-04-2015, 02:08 AM.

Comment

You need to put some love into your car...starting with doing a smoke test.

Comment

My vote is for the bitch tube.
              Originally posted by kronus
              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                My vote is for the bitch tube.
                Which tube? I think the car is being a bitch right now. I must not be treating her right.. Or she's PMSing.

Comment

Okay, so I just tried messing with it again. The first time I started it, it died. Second time it stayed on but idle was slightly moving around. I turn it off. Start it the third time, same thing. Then I press the gas a couple revs and let go. Then it just dies. I looked at the hoses and made sure the plug wires were tight. There is also a very strong smell of gas. But I see no leaks..

Comment

BItch tube is the tube underneath the throttle body/intake manifold

Comment

^ Yep. So named because it's a bitch to change without removing the intake manifold - but it's possible.

Opie, sounds like your car is doing almost exactly what mine was doing when that tube had a large crack in it - which was not visible until I replaced it. If you have a helper, have them start the car while you apply pressure/weight to various places on that tube. If the car runs better depending on where you're mashing, you found the problem.

Note: If you read/see a suggestion to spray brake cleaner on your intake pieces and/or vacuum hoses, that test did not help me diagnose this issue on my car (also an 87 iS FWIW).

Comment

Okay so I didn't have anyone to help me out. But I tired to locate the tube. I THINK I found it but not sure. I tried squeezing it and even tried to mess with it to see if I can remove it. Nothing. Is it the vertical tube that has ridges on the bottom of it? Going to the head?

Comment

the "bitch tube" runs from your valve cover across to the other side of the intake manifold. im having a the same problem. will do a smoke test tomorrow and check for leaks

Comment

year? Motor?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cgk_iii View Post
                              year? Motor?
                              It's a 1987 325is.

Comment

Working...