Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck Ignition Cylinder

Hey guys, having a bit of an issue.

I tried starting my car up this morning to head to work, but couldn't get it to crank. The ignition cylinder seems to not want to go past the ON position; where the dash, radio etc. is on. It won't go that extra step to start cranking. It worked fine when I left work last night.

I have have both the original key (worn down) and a copy that is in good condition. They both open the doors and trunk without issue. From what I've read the cylinder is probably worn down, but a replacement can be had via VIN match. Is this correct? Or is that only an option for the key itself? I'm going to try the pin hole method to try and remove it and start the car using a workaround while I figure this out.

What do you guys think; am I on the right track here?
    Last edited by 2PointSlow; 02-12-2015, 03:24 PM.

When i had that same issue i tried ignition switch but ended up being the tumbler just gave

Comment

Originally posted by 2PointSlow View Post
      but a replacement can be had via VIN match. Is this correct? Or is that only an option for the key itself?
      yes, I just did this. Bring your registration to the dealer, they will give you a new cylinder keyed to fit your car, about 60 bucks. Be careful, there's also the option to get one with a key, but the key won't fit your doors etc. don't get that one (they won't need your registration for that one because it doesn't fit any specific car).

You can also order keys and blanks. There's a great key thread here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...OCD+key+thread

If you get keys, make sure to insist on the right part numbers for new keys based on this thread. My dealer insisted that the "standard" key was the "general" key (and that the general key cannot be ordered) when in fact it is the valet key. He reordered twice then gave me my money back.

Removing the cylinder can be tricky because there are conflicting DIYs out there. One says to use a straight pin, perhaps with a pointy end. This did not work for me. The other, which worked like a charm, uses a wire (I used a heavy duty paper clip) with a slight bend near the tip. The wire is inserted with the bend facing to the center of the cylinder, then rotate 180 to release. Here's a good video showing the "official" removal tool and how it works: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C5JYSb6e_Hw
      Last edited by Semblance; 02-12-2015, 11:27 PM.
      '89 lachssilber vert - Frau Blücher
      '84 alpine 2dr - gone to the great beyond...
      '00 titanium 4dr e46 - bricked

Comment

Working...
      X