Where to Search?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to Search?

Where do I search to find various specs on various OEM parts?

For instance, say I want to know the dimensions of OEM radiators so I know what will fit. Or maybe I want to compare axle shafts from different BMW models and find out how much torque each can be subjected to before they pop.

Is there such a database so wunderbar as the one I am describing?

I'm sure you can makeshift something with RealOEM and a rudimentary lathe.

Comment

What do you mean?

My main reason for posting is that I want to know if non-m 6-cyl z6 axles can withstand more abuse than e30 325es axles.

I posted in the suspension sub forum but I'm afraid not many people here use these axles.

I found heritge put a 5.0L in a non-m 6-cyl z6 but I can't find out if they did anything to the suspension or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Self Made View Post
        What do you mean?

My main reason for posting is that I want to know if non-m 6-cyl z6 axles can withstand more abuse than e30 325es axles.

I posted in the suspension sub forum but I'm afraid not many people here use these axles.

I found heritge put a 5.0L in a non-m 6-cyl z6 but I can't find out if they did anything to the suspension or not.
        In for pictures of this elusive uber rare z6. You really need to go read the 5 lug swap thread in its entirety, but if you think you will be doing something that will be beyond the scope of what an e30 axle can handle, your solution is mz3 complete rear dropout with differential, axles and trailing arms.

But I'm sure you could do some research and makeshift something, I mean I once saw an e21 with e24 rear suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
          In for pictures of this elusive uber rare z6. You really need to go read the 5 lug swap thread in its entirety, but if you think you will be doing something that will be beyond the scope of what an e30 axle can handle, your solution is mz3 complete rear dropout with differential, axles and trailing arms.

But I'm sure you could do some research and makeshift something, I mean I once saw an e21 with e24 rear suspension.
          Yea well I'm going to be swapping in an m30 and eventually turboing it. I want to build a good foundation so I'm not limited by the axles in the future.

Good & Tight, who had a similar build to what I am planning, broke plenty of E30 axles.

I don't want to 5lug swap because that will only add more weight to the front, which I want to avoid because the M30 is already a bit heavier than the M20 (which came stock on my 325e).

I'd say an MZ3 is even more elusive than just a regular 6-cyl Z3. You're right that it's a good option, but it's also a more expensive one.

That's why I'm wondering if the axles off of a regular 6-cyl Z3 is a good compromise. I know the trailing arms are similar to the Z3M's.

AFAIK people rarely swap regular 6-cyl Z3 rear ends into an E30 because in addition to the hubs it adds something like 50mm to the rear offset, while an MZ3 rear end adds half that.

The MZ3 rear end swap is more popular partly because of this, but I can't use this set up and stay 4 lug.

The regular Z3 on the other hand uses the same wheel bearings as the E30.
          Last edited by Self Made; 02-15-2015, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Have you found an M30 yet, I just might have a line on one out in your side of the country for $700 or so last I heard.

Why don't you just buy the CAtuned axles then and keep four lug and have a wicked fast car with an undersized braking system.

Comment

Have you found an M30 yet, I just might have a line on one out in your side of the country for $700 or so last I heard.

Why don't you just buy the CAtuned axles then and keep four lug and have a wicked fast car with an undersized braking system.

http://www.catuned.com/e30-bmw-325i3...hromolly-axles
              Oh really? Is it rebuilt? I might be interested. I've got a couple leads too for around $500 with tranny but then I'll have to rebuild it. I'd shell over some extra dough to save some time.

Yea, I've known about those and they seem like a good option for sure but there are other reasons I am considering a Z3 rear end such as weight distribution and wider track width.

Oh and I'm not turboing until I get a wilwood brake kit.

Comment

What is the weight distribution difference? And, isn't your track width limited to the physical constraints of your car? Custom built 4x100 wheels would be a better way to maximize track width, no?

Comment

Most of the parts houses' websites have dimensions of products, or at least the commercial sites we use do. I think OReillys site has the most detailed specs. When I want to make a frankensomething I check their site for specs. As far as operational limits of parts. That might be a little tougher to come by. You'd have to know what it's made of, and I'm talking specific mixtures not just 'Steel' or 'aluminum' then look up the rating of the material. Maybe if you contact the manufacturer of the part, they may have a spec sheet for the design and be willing to share that info

Comment

What is the weight distribution difference? And, isn't your track width limited to the physical constraints of your car? Custom built 4x100 wheels would be a better way to maximize track width, no?
                    I don't know, that's also part of why I made this post! Custom wheels are a good option, no doubt. But if I can get a beefier suspension, better weight distribution, and more track width all at the same time for the same price or less than custom wheels, well I think my choice is clear at that point. I already have a set of wheels in mind anyway.

Now I just need hard numbers for assurance.

Originally posted by Andy Mechnic View Post
                    Most of the parts houses' websites have dimensions of products, or at least the commercial sites we use do. I think OReillys site has the most detailed specs. When I want to make a frankensomething I check their site for specs. As far as operational limits of parts. That might be a little tougher to come by. You'd have to know what it's made of, and I'm talking specific mixtures not just 'Steel' or 'aluminum' then look up the rating of the material. Maybe if you contact the manufacturer of the part, they may have a spec sheet for the design and be willing to share that info
                    Great insight, I will surf this website first thing tomorrow when the tide is right :thumbup:
                    Last edited by Self Made; 02-15-2015, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X