Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random squeak in the back

It's a 1987 325i convertible

For the past couple weeks, my car has been making squeak noises coming from the back. Usually when it's cold (30 degrees), under acceleration, independent from bumps in the road, though I have noticed it when I'm not accelerating and when the car is at temp. It sounds like a little mouse, or like two trees rubbing together, like a short, high pitched squeak. Almost like a tiny bit of pressure is being released from somewhere. Like a little blow off valve. From the back of the car. The sound only happens once every few minutes, though I have noticed it being more frequent than when it first happened. Mostly it's a short, high pitched sound, but sometimes it's a bit longer and trails off toward the end, like a valve would if it were releasing pressure.

My suspension is shot so it could be from a blown shock but it happens on flat ground and is a different sound from what the shocks usually make. My first thought was some sort of fuel pump issue but that makes different sounds. There's no mice in my car.

My trunk is empty except for a coolant jug and a tool kit. It could be the coolant jug? I'll try taking it out tomorrow and see if anything changes.

I tried recording it today but naturally it stopped as soon as I brought my phone out. Any ideas?

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

it's possible that it's a shock mount. thats what it was for me. it would only squeak sometimes because the rod had pushed through and polished one side of the inner rubber. i'll think of more things later. it could also be the seat belt retractor. pull on it slightly when you're buckled in, that's what the squeak is on my mom's e36

--Mike
    (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Does it squeek when you get out of the car?
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

^ no, only when I'm driving. The rear springs creak when I get out of the car. But it's a different sound. I just replaced the rear shock mounts last year but it's entirely possible they're already dead as I've yet to redo the shocks/springs. They're cheap enough I 'll just grab another set with the rest of the suspension this spring.

I will try pulling on the seat belt retractor and see what comes up!

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Working...
        X