Another Fuse #10 Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Fuse #10 Thread...

Hello R3V, I need your help on a 91 4-door Automatic E30 that I recently purchased. This is my second E30.

Fuse #10 consistently blows every time key is turned to ON position, car cannot turn over or start.

Here's how it began: Was driving home when suddenly smoke started seeping through the dash. So I cut the motor and coasted into a parking lot, popped the hood, and found that Fuse #10 was nearly melted on one side. Popped in a new fuse and tried to turn the key to ON position, pop, fuse 10 blows.

After searching, found this thread with similar issue (all the other threads I found were referring to the reverse light wire for manual cars): http://bmwe30network.net/forums/read...5,11422,page=2
    OP figured out it was a green/white wire running from instrument cluster through the firewall. He replaced the entire harness.

So far, the radio, instrument cluster, glove box, and all lower trim under dash are removed. I cannot see any single wire that looks shorted/melted/charred.

I'll be removing the fuse box or dash next up, but I had a few questions first.

My Questions:

1) Does the automatic E30 have a similar reverse light wire that runs near the driveshaft? I lifted the car and didn't notice any wire leading to/from gear shifter body hole.

2) Does anyone have any experience as to how and where exactly the main harness wire that includes the components for Fuse 10 runs through the firewall?

3) I should add that this car had an alarm. I removed it after this Fuse 10 issue started and reconnected the wires.

4) I also replaced the starter relay but that didn't help. I tested the starter motor and it turns fine, just like my other e30.

5) Other info... this is probably not related to Fuse 10... but while my car is unlocked and just sitting there, as soon as I open the rear left passenger door all the doors including the one opened lock automatically. It doesn't do this with any other doors besides that one. I already took off the trim and wire covers to locate a short, but the wires in the door look spotless.

Any suggestions, comments, and even guesses are welcome. I'm at a loss of ideas here and will be pulling off the fuse box and then the dash after. Most likely going to order an electrical circuit tester to see if that helps to find the short or problem.

Regards

- Harp
    Harp

Bump
    Harp

Comment

Wow, what a mess!

hunting down that fuse 10 issue is gonna be fun, I will do a little research and see if I have any good ideas...man, thats ugly.

GL?
      Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
        Wow, what a mess!

hunting down that fuse 10 issue is gonna be fun, I will do a little research and see if I have any good ideas...man, thats ugly.

GL?
        Luke

Thanks Luke. I appreciate any suggestions

It's been a real fun journey so far. Was hoping it would be a simple reverse light wire or something similar.

Since the fuse instantly pops as the key is switched to the ON position, I was thinking it could be the ignition switch/tumbler. But the ignition switch isn't even connected to fuse #10 so i'm at a loss there
        Harp

Comment

Makes me think something melted together...

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I haven't been in the e30 game in a while, so I don't really remember what the "fuse 10" thing is, but I had a problem on my 88 that was kicking my ass. Blower motor wouldn't work, even though the fuse was good. I tore the car apart tracing wires, checking voltages, etc. Everything looked fine. Then I got pissed or brave or drunk and decided to pull the fuse box and check it out. The solder on one side of the fuse somehow cracked. I don't remember the details, but when I checked the fuse slot before tearing everything apart, I had power. But once I opened the fuse box, it was plain as day, power wasn't going to the blower because of the cracked solder.

Resoldered it and bam, blower worked.

Just saying, if you've tried everything and Luke says melting is a possibility, it may be worth looking into.
            Matt

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy
            I pack my CD player with asbestos. Those mother fuckers pay dearly for stealing my shit.
            Originally posted by kronus
            try whacking parts of the motor with a wrench while yelling "YOU WANT SUMMA DIS? HUH?"
            Originally posted by chadthestampede
            This is like a reverse build thread; it starts out nice and gets shitty.

Comment

Working...
            X