wierd steering noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wierd steering noise?

so in the last few days i've noticed a wierd noise from my steering. When I left work, I backed out, stopped, and while turnin the steering wheel it sounded like maybe the power steering was struggling. It's a really low deep noise, and it seems to get better after driving the car a while, but wat is it? Is it the power steering pump?

:(^SOLD^:(

was there resistance in the steering wheel when it made the noise? if not its probably the ball joints.

Unlimited Slip Diff's FTW!
    1972 240z Drift,Scca BSP, Scca ITS Car.

Comment

i have to say it. Is there enough ATF fluid?
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-h...wE3UqwjjmaTrXg

Comment

Originally posted by rede30
        i have to say it. Is there enough ATF fluid?
        lol, im sure he checked it.

Unlimited Slip Diff's FTW!
        1972 240z Drift,Scca BSP, Scca ITS Car.

Comment

so outta... curiousity.... what would happen if you put regular power steering fluid instead of ATF fluid?

Comment

Originally posted by ummagawd
            so outta... curiousity.... what would happen if you put regular power steering fluid instead of ATF fluid?
            Rack doesn't like it one bit. I did it once and made the rack very noisy in my first E30.
            Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
              Rack doesn't like it one bit. I did it once and made the rack very noisy in my first E30.
              Plus it'd probably leak all over the place.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
              When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's £3.95 per minute.
              "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson"
              Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Comment

That too.
                Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

perfect

Comment

was it a grinding noise? my borther's front pass fender lining came loose and was grinding against the front of the tire, but only when turning in reverse

Comment

Add ATF to the power steering.

Comment

mine's making some crazy noises... i know its the power steering because at stand still.. if i try to turn the steering wheel just slightly... it goes "wehhhhhhhhhhhh"

I'm looking to get a new PS pump... but I also watned to confirm that the rack itself shouldn't be making any noises?

Comment

Originally posted by ummagawd
                          mine's making some crazy noises... i know its the power steering because at stand still.. if i try to turn the steering wheel just slightly... it goes "wehhhhhhhhhhhh"

I'm looking to get a new PS pump... but I also watned to confirm that the rack itself shouldn't be making any noises?
                          That's the symptom you'll get if you don't have enough fluid, you've checked it, right?

Comment

That happened to my car, it's because the the power steering fluid was gone. Check your fluid levels.

'88 325is
                            VP UT of Austin Autoholics
                            BMWCCA 380364

Comment

Damn car

I am having the same issue. It just started today and the level on the dipstick is full. It sounds like the pump is dry or grinding. Could the hose be blocked or some other thing that could starve the pump? I love this car but it is dollaring me to death.

Comment

Working...
                              X