Always fun - possible fuel issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always fun - possible fuel issues.

Got about a week and a half of seat time in the stroker vert, and there's a few small glitches I'm working out, but for the most part, it's been a smooth success.

However, there's been a new problem that's developed. Last Thursday evening, I drove out to Longmeadow to pick up my interior from Rob S. It's about a 2 hour drive, so this was the first long distance trip the car had made since the swap - all 20-30 minute trips or just around town driving beforehand.

We got out there with no issues at all. Then, as we got to the end of his block, the car started surging - the best way I can describe it is to say that someone was flicking a switch on and off attached to the fuel pump - on-off, on-off, on.....off. It was undriveable and wouldn't rev past around 2-2500 before doing it. I pulled over but couldn't figure out the problem. Idle was jumping, so I turned it off. It was pitch black, so I tried to limp the car to a better area. Finally after another few blocks it was unbearable, and on a whim I asked my buddy Matt in the passenger seat to unplug and plug in the ECU. Sure enough, the car started without a hiccup.

We had to do this once more on the trip back, and the car sat for a few hours and I was off again in the morning. Occasional hiccups on the highway, and once I had to unplug and plug the ecu in. Made it to the hotel (in a wedding for the weekend) and it sat for two days. Drove it home (about an hour) with no hiccups at all. Been driving it since, and every once in a while it hiccups, but with no warnings, no symptoms or causes I can think of.

I may have another 173 ECU I can try, I definitely have a 153 ECU though.

Should I swap ecu's, or is this another problem?

My street is called Longmeadow - funny.
    Current Cars
    2014 M235i
    2009 R56 Cooper S
    1998 M3
    1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by DaveCN
      My street is called Longmeadow - funny.
      I noticed that when I mailed you parts :)

Dave, I have to say that all in all, I'm so happy with the swap. The car is a whole new animal with the stroker - as Mark put it the other day, "Why does it chirp the tires every time you shift?"

The car is coming along nicely. The body will be done over the next few months and the wheels will be on it by then too. Gotta replace the subframe bushings - they're literally gone - and then I'm in good shape for a while. I'll be building a bottom end for it over the winter - custom pistons to raise the compression, and some stronger rods.

PS - new pics on the revised interior soon - even better than the first iteration :)

Comment

Well if resetting the ecu, causes/caused the problem to go away for a while, I'd say it couldn't hurt to try another one. It's not your fuel pump, filter etc though, of it'd still be problematic. Sounds to me like ithe ecu "relearned the setup", and then maybe started failing?

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
        When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's £3.95 per minute.
        "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson"
        Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofthewaters
          Well if resetting the ecu, causes/caused the problem to go away for a while, I'd say it couldn't hurt to try another one. It's not your fuel pump, filter etc though, of it'd still be problematic. Sounds to me like ithe ecu "relearned the setup", and then maybe started failing?
          That's what I was thinking too. But, it was almost a week before any symptoms began, and then it was all at once - now I can't get it to repeat - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it also doesn't help me find the source.

Obviously running a stroker setup with a mild decking can cause its issues - but it just seems like it would come up early on and work itself out as the ecu learned the new setup, not the other way around.

Comment

I would get some deoxit or other brand metal electrical contact enhancer. It may just be a problem with the plug. Being a vert i'm sure you get some moisture in there that can make it a problem connection. I'd give it a try before you swap it out.
            good luck scotty

Comment

Originally posted by KillerCalypso
              I would get some deoxit or other brand metal electrical contact enhancer. It may just be a problem with the plug. Being a vert i'm sure you get some moisture in there that can make it a problem connection. I'd give it a try before you swap it out.
              good luck scotty
              Sounds like a solid plan - thanks Andy ;)

Comment

Working...
              X