Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reinstalling HVAC into gutted car - need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reinstalling HVAC into gutted car - need help!

I bought my car mostly gutted, and have realized a street car (in the northeast) really needs some heat and a defroster to defog the windshield. Got a used HVAC/blower assembly and recently installed it under the dash, but have a few questions since I did not uninstall my own box and images of the connections for this component are not easy to come by (despite there being many dash swap tutorials which include some of these).

1. Where does this plug go? The leads are black/red and black/purple. It is part of the same wiring harness that is attached to the HVAC box itself, specifically it joins the harness right near the plugs for the blower fan control knob and the AC/recirc buttons. It has a decent amount of slack so I am inclined to believe it goes up into the dash somewhere instead of the control panel, but I can’t find a vacant mating plug for it.

2. I want to verify my blower fan works before I reinstall the dash and everything in case I need to get at anything (24v car, bulkhead sucks to get off, intake manifold is removed, etc.) – it currently does not work when I plug in the blower fan control and try to turn the fan on. The big white plug for the HVAC box into the dash harness is connected, the fan leads are connected, the blower fan resistor is new and the 30A fuse for the fan under the hood isnt blown. I tested the fan itself by connecting 12V to the leads and it seemed to work outside the car. Im gonna do some continuity checks between the switch and the fan itself when I get some time but wanted to see if I am missing anything obvious. Any ideas?

Thanks!!
    sigpic
    '89 Delphin/Cardinal OBD1 M52 325i
    '87 Schwarz/Cardinal 325is - SOLD

IG: @steezmode

Just a guess - did you check the fuse on the driver's side of the HVAC unit?

ETM shows black/violet & black/red wires in C136 (harness to the DME). That plug might run up to the black connector above the glove box.
    sigpic
    Save the manuals!
    '91 318i
    '86 635CSi

Comment

I thought I checked that before installing it since I thought it was an odd (and sucky) place for a fuse but now that Ive put power to it, its probably worth checking again - good call.

Ill take a look...one [major] complication here is the PO spliced the harness for the DME himself during the 24v swap and there is a chance that could be missing. Ill see if I can find something up that way...thanks!
      sigpic

Comment

Update - I still have not found where this plug goes. Anyone have an image of the mating connector Dave alluded to near the glovebox?

Also blower fan works now...having the C101 plugged in helps
        sigpic

Comment

Is that the plug that goes to the glovebox to charge the flashlight or power the glovebox light?
          sigpic

4 doors.. so much room for activities!

IG @bluebombr

Transaction Feedback:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=323622

Comment

Hmm could be - I have neither in this car, so it would make sense I cant find a plug to connect it to. Being that the plug in question only has two leads, it is probably just a simple power source for something like what you mentioned - thanks!
            sigpic

Comment

Its part of the AC evap and compressor contoils. Its C136. There should be a 2 lead pigtail hanging off the main ECU wiring bundle above the glove box, it plugs into that.

Comment

perfect thanks man!
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X