Ate or Gerling Brake Booster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ate or Gerling Brake Booster?

When i turn off my car i hear a hugh hiss. Like a rediculos vacum leak. I pump my brakes and it goes away. I belive i have a leaky booster. I would like to order a new one for the upcoming track day. How do i figure out if it's ate or girling ,and what else should i replace once im in there?

My booster has an ATE sticker on it.

Comment

Where's this sticker located? Does it matter what company I get?

Comment

mine has the ate sticker on the face of the booster, I've seen girlings with the sticker on top of the booster like this:

Comment

Are the ate and girling boosters interchangeable? I had an ate, but now I have a girling off of the same year and model of my car. I am guessing they are interchangeable but not sure.

Anyone know?
          Originally posted by cabriodster87
          "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
          Originally posted by Kershaw
          i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

I would like to know this too, does the booster need to match anything else in the system (calipers, brake master cyl??)
            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

They all intercahnge and work.

Biggest difference is that different engines have vacuum hose in different location, so the biggest mod you might be doing is shortening/lenghtening vacuum hose.
              Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
              BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
              BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
              BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

I have an ate MC/booster with girling calipers all the way around...don't know how but thats the way i bought it, I haven't had any brake issues...just be sure to use super high performance german blue or gold brake fluid that stuff is awesome

Comment

The hiss could be from the booster, or it could be a bad check valve or bad hose. You can test the booster to see if it will hold a vacuum by clamping the vacuum line to the booster while the engine is idling. Then wait a minute or so and see if there's still boost (normal brake pedal). It there is the leak isn't in the booster. Alternatively you can use a vacuum pump and gage to directly test the booster.
                  The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                  Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                    The hiss could be from the booster, or it could be a bad check valve or bad hose. You can test the booster to see if it will hold a vacuum by clamping the vacuum line to the booster while the engine is idling. Then wait a minute or so and see if there's still boost (normal brake pedal). It there is the leak isn't in the booster. Alternatively you can use a vacuum pump and gage to directly test the booster.
                    got more info on how to test this?

Comment

Originally posted by e30 gangsta View Post
                      got more info on how to test this?
                      Take the vacuum hose off from manifold, put it in your mouth and suck as hard as you can, if you feel how the vacuum builds and STAYS as long as you suck the booster is ok, but if you hear whistling sound from booster and you can't hold the vacuum by suckin it's broken.

And yes, I'm serious.
                      Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
                      BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Originally posted by Rocla View Post
                        Take the vacuum hose off from manifold, put it in your mouth and suck as hard as you can, if you feel how the vacuum builds and STAYS as long as you suck the booster is ok, but if you hear whistling sound from booster and you can't hold the vacuum by suckin it's broken.

And yes, I'm serious.
                        ..... ok

Comment

Originally posted by Rocla View Post

And yes, I'm serious.
                          interesting...are there any other methods lol?
                          IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
                            interesting...are there any other methods lol?
                            Yes a vacuum pump and gauge. Connect pump to booster hose, pump the vacuum and see if it holds, basicly the same thing as the sucking.
                            Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
                            BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Working...
                            X