• Time
  • Show
Clear All

common oil leaks on an eta?

where are they?

m42brigade

r3v Photo Crew: Founding Member

Originally posted by Eurospeed
    Guys like him are the reason I love it when people do things to their cars that are different. It just like anytime Karlo posts a thread with pics of his car, I love watching all the elitist pricks on this site shit their pants when they see an E30 that doesn't fit their standards.

depends on what condition... if average, then prolly everywhere!
    sigpic

Comment

Shouldn't leak anywhere due to low stress levels.

Comment

haha i have a pretty major leak.... and the oil is caked everywhere underneath... so its hard to tell

trying to get an idea of what to replace

Comment

might try engine cleaner on the crud to better identify the source of the leak. A valve cover gasket and an oil pan gasket shouldn't set you back too bad.

Comment

Valve cover gasket is definately the cheapest/easiest to fix. I think it's fairly common for them to leak too especially over time and/or if they are crushed by improper torquing. Plus autozone should have them as normal store stock. At least mine does. 12 bucks and change. But, I agree invest in a jug of good quality degreaser, wash it down good and then wait for the oil trail..........

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
            When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's £3.95 per minute.
            "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson"
            Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Comment

Oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket are the 2 big ones.
              Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

rear main seal, and its a bitch to replace. You should see oil leaking out of the bottom of the bell housing if its leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by 02stu
                  rear main seal, and its a bitch to replace. You should see oil leaking out of the bottom of the bell housing if its leaking.
                  i'd say that's pretty common
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PУCCKAЯ_e30
                    i'd say that's pretty common
                    Specially with higher miles.

You could try running thicker oil to fix it - but I wouldn't reccomend it.

If the rear main seal is out, I'd say, start saving your money, since you might as well do all the tranny seals, the clutch, flywheel resurfacing, mounts...yadda yadda - while you're down there. lol
                    - Sean Hayes

Comment

If you wanted to pin point it you could degrease the engine, add oil die, then put the car in a dark garage with a hand held black light and some dorky yellow tinted glasses. This one of the better methouds of pinpointing leaks.

Comment

yenno... a friend of mine brought up a good point... although any oil leak is bad... cleaning it up might make it worse.

His e30 was leaking a good amount... and when he went to go clean it up to find the course.... oh man it made it worse! The caked up oil was holding in alot of the oil leaks.

At any rate... valve cover gasket, new drain plug and washer is on order. I hope its not the rear main or oil pan... those are PITA

Comment

When I got my car I had to do the camshaft seal, the bind plugs, the valve cover, the oil pan gasket, rebuilt the oil cooler with all new seals, replaced the oil sender because it was leaking, and I replaced the rear main seal once already last summer and it's already started leaking again because I did not follow the directions when I replaced it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritalin Kid
                            When I got my car I had to do the camshaft seal, the bind plugs, the valve cover, the oil pan gasket, rebuilt the oil cooler with all new seals, replaced the oil sender because it was leaking, and I replaced the rear main seal once already last summer and it's already started leaking again because I did not follow the directions when I replaced it.

eek... i'd hate to spend all that only to mess it up again...

i bought my ride as a daily driver... maybe i can deal with an oil leak haha

Comment

I'm tired of the damn oil slick in my garage, and I won't clean it up until there aren't any leaks. In about two weeks, I will replace my steering rack (Z3, woot), oil pan gasket, oil plug, and valve cover gasket. I hope that covers it, because I'm tired of it.
                              Slicktop City!

Comment

Working...
                              X