Door lock repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door lock repair

My e30's locks are a mess the passenger side worked good but now there is the old key broken off inside.

The drivers kind of locks half way sometimes it will lock all the way but mostly it pulls the inside door lock down halfway and you can pull the door and it will unlatch but it wont open and it will not lock the passenger side.

What would cause that issue with the driver door
    1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
    2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
    2011 BMW X5 35I

Lock rebuild kit

Buy it from Pelican less that 30 bucks and rebuild the driver side and find out what else is screwed up in the door then use your rebuild knowledge to fix the passenger lock.

Comment

I rebuilt my driver lock. It takes some time, but it's worth it to have functional locks. If you decide to do both sides, you have to special order the passenger side.
      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

I think the solenoid inside the driver side door lock isn't working well.I also have the same issue and i have replaced the solenoid few days ago by hiring a local locksmith.
        Last edited by ricksmith; 02-01-2016, 10:51 PM.

Comment

this is the guide i used to do mine. the principals and extra tumblers can be used to rebuild your passenger/trunk locks too. i rebuilt my driver lock and rekeyed my passenger side and trunk to match the ignition key that came with the car since i never got a key to the unmatched door/trunk locks.

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
          IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
            I rebuilt my driver lock. It takes some time, but it's worth it to have functional locks. If you decide to do both sides, you have to special order the passenger side.

Can you elaborate the process of rebuilding the door lock??...I am suffereing through the same situation as Kevinl is...I called few Locksmiths but they are very expensive...i need cheap repair

Comment

Mine seems different... The pass side locks but then unlocks... I'm using the trunk key hole to activate the solenoid. Drivers side turns about 1/2 inch but nothing. Is this the key solenoid or the motor actuator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              1987 BMW 325is,(M3 S50 Swapped)-Current
              2010 FJ Cruiser, aka E30 Support Vehicle-(Daily)
              2008 Scion xB Lowered
              2001 BMW 325i
              1995 BMW 318ti
              1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
              1965 Ford Mustang Coupe

My Thread

Comment

2008 Scion xB Lowered
                2001 BMW 325i
                1995 BMW 318ti
                1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
                1965 Ford Mustang Coupe

My Thread

Comment

Update: In my case the actuator was mis-adjusted.
                  Took the actuator out of the door and used the trunk key to test.
                  All works as needed... oh.. latched the door with it physically open.
                  Actuator functioned.... now I just had to adjust the mechanics with the key unit stuck in the door. First try the lock pole would not move.
                  I think last person in there had flipped the actuator... now I had it adjusted correctly.
                  All works, yes!!!

Last edited by b-rad; 04-21-2016, 09:40 AM. Reason: more correct info.
                  2008 Scion xB Lowered
                  2001 BMW 325i
                  1995 BMW 318ti
                  1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
                  1965 Ford Mustang Coupe

My Thread

Comment

Originally posted by b-rad View Post
                    Update: In my case the actuator was mis-adjusted.
                    Took the actuator out of the door and used the trunk key to test.
                    All works as needed... oh.. latched the door with it physically open.
                    Actuator functioned.... now I just had to adjust the mechanics with the key unit stuck in the door. First try the lock pole would not move.
                    I think last person in there had flipped the actuator... now I had it adjusted correctly.
                    All works, yes!!!

Thanks for providing the information but i also have the same issue and i called Locksmith to repair the solenoid and after that it works fine.

Comment

Both of my e30s' locks were jammed up similarly when I bought them, I just lubed the shit out of them and worked them back and forth being careful not to break my key, and it took some time, but they freed up all the way and started working. My first one, the driver's lock didn't move at all, and I regained full functionality. You may or may not be lucky enough for this to work, but it's worth a shot, a can of your favorite lube is a lot cheaper than new locks, rebuild kits, or a locksmith.

Comment

Hey,

My first post on here, to ask if anyone can please help me.
                        I was rebuilding the drivers door lock, everything was going really well until the very last few steps when I noticed I can't find the small roller bearing....

I'm pretty sure it was never in the packet, although even I will admit it seems more plausible that it was in the packet and I've lost it... Either way the fact remains, I don't have it.

The lock is a bit useless without this little piece, and I can't buy a whole new kit just for that roller. Can anybody measure one so that I can find a roller on it's own?

thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X