1987 E30 no heat? Help UPDATE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spdracrm3 View Post
    so if you let the core get hot fan off and then turn the fan on full speed is it hot and then cools rapidly (does core or one of the hoses coming out of core get cold with fan on full ?). just wondering if the flow is restricted , in US they had a recall to install a safety overheat thermostat in the inlet hose and they fail restricting the flow thru the core to a trickle therby reducing heat output. does your car have the small metal thermostat in one of the heater hoses with a smaller hose coming out of it ? if yes remove it and use small pipe to reconnect cut hose and see if heat output improves.

also as mentioned in post above ive heard that installing hoses on core backwards can reduce heat output (never experienced it in person though)
    in answer to above post the hose coming out of the back of cylinder head should go to the pipe with the control valve in it on the core (which i think is the top pipe)
    If I were to let the car get hot, turn fan on, it would not change the temperature whatsoever. The temperature is constant (basically same temp as outside/just the fan blowing) no matter what temperature the car is. It will never change whether the car is hot or cold.

I will check about the smaller metal hose in the heater hoses but I am 95% sure it does not. I just replaced the outlet hose and it didn't and I've visually inspected most of the inlet hose and it didn't either. The heater core and all piping from the control valve get quite hot. Has to be something not opening because everything seems to be working perfectly as far as coolant/heater hoses flowing properly.

Still have the heater controls apart but like I said, had a good look and couldn't see what the issue was. Thinking it could be the heater actuator flap? And if so, where is that?

Really appreciate the help man.
    2016 F-150
    1987 Royalblau 325es B25 turbocharged

Build thread here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=405594

Comment

:rippedoff:diThis is the reason I dont have heat. Your water pump might be broke and not circulating the coolants. If you drive it long enough, your car will over heat, spilling out coolants, and still no heat. one of the pipe under the driver side heater hose will be cold and one will be hot. Remove the thermostate, run the car, squeeze the upper coolant hose and see if coolant is flowing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	7184291
      Last edited by dsphil; 03-20-2016, 07:08 AM.
      sigpic
      327is
      325es
      325es
      318is
      Fiesta ST
      E46 M3

Comment

Thank you dsphil but the circulation of my coolant doesn't seem to be an issue here. All,pipes and hoses are hot as they should be, both inside the car and in the engine bay
        2016 F-150

Comment

I would remove the center console and check if the heater box is warm. If it is warm, then something wrong with the flaps or ducts. If not, then disconnect the heater valve wires. Heater valve closes when powered. If still no heat then it is likely the pump. Good luck.
          sigpic
          327is
          325es
          325es
          318is
          Fiesta ST
          E46 M3

Comment

check this cable (center of picture of a removed heaterbox)on right side of HVAC box (it's moves a lever/flap over the core and is the control cable from the temp knob).to hot moves it toward rear ,to cold pushes it forward closing flap over core and making air bypass core and not heat air

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
            Angus
            88 E30M3 X2
            89 325IX
            92 R100GS/PD
            :)

Comment

Sorry picture posted upsidedown it appears

Angus
              88 E30M3 X2
              89 325IX
              92 R100GS/PD

Comment

Are you talking about the cable very middle of the pic that goes into that creme/off white piece? From underneath the HVAC box? If so that may be the problem... Think I only have two very small wires coming off that. Will check and confirm.
                2016 F-150

Comment

Yes that's the cable in center of pic, goes to a lever arm under/behind right side floor outlet ,May need to remove glovebox on LHD to access. No wires go to it ,its just a mechanical lever operating a flap

Angus
                  88 E30M3 X2
                  89 325IX
                  92 R100GS/PD

Comment

Ok. So I got at that cable today and started playing around with the heat and blower motor fully cranked... When I opened it fully a bunch if crap came out of the vents, possibly heat for a minute or two then went back to what it was before (none).

Also now my signals don't work since I took out my HVAC unit... Not at all and neither do the hazards (yes made sure the defrost and hazard relays weren't crossed) UGH!!!

Getting to the point where I may just take it to a shop, ask them to have mercy on me and have them sort it out. There's a BMW/Porsche/Benz shop around the corner from me.
                    2016 F-150

Comment

With blower on full you may find the core will cool down at idle so you might have to rev the engine to get constant heat output.also sounds like it might have debris inside that could be blocking airflow thru the core

As far as turn signals sounds like you may have blown a fuse or not have something connected properly at hazard switch?

Angus
                      88 E30M3 X2
                      89 325IX
                      92 R100GS/PD

Comment

Did you let the car warmed up before you turn the heat on or the heat was on while it was warming up? If you warmed up then crank up the heat, chances are your pump is not circulating the coolant. The fan cooled off the heater core after a minute or so. Did you really take out the HVAC unit? you have to take out the dash to do that, right?
                        sigpic
                        327is
                        325es
                        325es
                        318is
                        Fiesta ST
                        E46 M3

Comment

Originally posted by spdracrm3 View Post

check this cable (center of picture of a removed heaterbox)on right side of HVAC box (it's moves a lever/flap over the core and is the control cable from the temp knob).to hot moves it toward rear ,to cold pushes it forward closing flap over core and making air bypass core and not heat air

THIS!!!!!

Was the issue. The cylinder plastic piece came out of the holder and I lost the tab for it so it kept popping off.

Zap strapped it securely down and bingo... Full heat.

At least now I know the coolant and heating system is in good shape :D

Thank you SO much for the help, very appreciated.
                          2016 F-150

Comment

Hi,

There is no up or down in regards to the inlet or outlet, it depends on the model year.
                            Pictures worth 1000s words:

Comment

Working...
                            X