overheating for the 1st time :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

overheating for the 1st time :-(

Well, i was driving home and pulled onto my street, when I noticed my temp gauge was barely past 1/2 (its never gone that far before), when i parked , it climbed to 3/4 and I popped the hood, the fan wasnt turning..
    Simple enough, something is wrong with the fan and its causing it to over heat, correct??

What can i check? I tried searching, but couldn't find much..
    Thanks for any help..
    90is, longtube headers/straight pipe/mark d 18# 93 0ctane chip/18# injectors/vogtland springs/bilst. sports

:firehop:

wait? your mechanical fan was not turning? umm, thats definately bad.....

Unlimited Slip Diff's FTW!
    1972 240z Drift,Scca BSP, Scca ITS Car.

Comment

Originally posted by yozsi
      wait? your mechanical fan was not turning? umm, thats definately bad.....
      I'm hearing it is just the fan clutch probably, what else could be wrong that is so bad??
      90is, longtube headers/straight pipe/mark d 18# 93 0ctane chip/18# injectors/vogtland springs/bilst. sports

Comment

wait.... even if your fan clutch is not working properly, the mechanical fan should still be turning.

Comment

wait.... even if your fan clutch is not working properly, the mechanical fan should still be turning.
          yea, the fan behind the radiator is not turning even when the engine is at the 1/2 way point on the temp gauge..What do you think??

Comment

ummm, maybe something is jammed between the radiator or shroud and the fan. turn off the engine and see if you can move the mechanical fan by hand.

Comment

ummm, maybe something is jammed between the radiator or shroud and the fan. turn off the engine and see if you can move the mechanical fan by hand.
              I think it can move by hand, I'll have to check again when I get home, but I didn't see any obstructions..
              I have heard that when a fan clutch goes out, it happens 2 different ways, the fan always stays on or doesn't come on at all.

Comment

Sounds like a fan clutch that is stuck open.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

as long as you were moving though it shouldnt have heated up?

Comment

Originally posted by e304me
                    as long as you were moving though it shouldnt have heated up?
                    it ran just a tad hotter when i firest noticed it, just likme 1/2, then i was in traffic, thats when it got 3/4.

Comment

i just bought a zirgo 16" 3300CFM electric fan off ebay, for like $100, might be a better value then another fan clutch

Comment

The fan clutch turns the mechanical fan. If it's busted, then it won't. Though I've never seen a clutch gone that far.

Comment

Just a suggestion, if it is pinned against the shroud you may wanna check your motor mounts and lower radiator hose.
                          Yours truly,
                          Rich
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by Rigmaster
                          you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Originally posted by delatlanta1281
                            Just a suggestion, if it is pinned against the shroud you may wanna check your motor mounts and lower radiator hose.
                            will do, thanks..

Comment

Originally posted by arsevader
                              The fan clutch turns the mechanical fan. If it's busted, then it won't. Though I've never seen a clutch gone that far.
                              Then you would have gotten a kick out seeing my clutch fan. With the engine idling, the fan wasn't moving! "Yeah, I think that's gone bad."

Comment

Working...
                              X