Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMT 6 Piggyback

Hi guys,

I have read a few things about the SMT6 piggyback system and wanted to know a bit more information on it, please excuse my ignorance.

Firstly, what is it... is it like a secondary engine management system? Also, how and where do you install it?

What gains and benefits does fitting one of these have and is it worth it? Are they expensive?

I'm going to be putting a 2.8 litre stroked M20 engine in my 325i Sport with a modified head (schrick 284/272 cam) and wanted to know if getting an SMT6 would benefit me?

Sorry for all the silly questions but I know nothing about these and none of the UK sites have any info.

TIA

It is a system that plugs into the ECU and wiring. It is a piggy back, which means it fools the ECU with signals to trick it into upping fuel or timing the way it desires to. (More complex than that, but that's the jist) It can make the ECU provide more gas or other ways to tune it.

Look for "quick MAF write up" from mspiegle, and some of the other posts from him. He used the SMT6 to use a MAF with his M20. Also, Gunni aka gstuning is your best friend on this topic. He sells it and is very nice and informative.

You splice wires to get it plugged in and resides in the glovebox. You can tune the system on a laptop.

Cost - ~$340 I think I remember Gunni saying. Gains - able to use MAF, reduces restriction a whole lot. Have you seen the M30 AFM gains ~6rwhp with 19lb and 4bar FPR......think of instead of a bigger door, there is no door at all, just a hot wire. :D That would really end the bottleneck of the AFM......

It would also allow you to reap the benefits from your other mods. Most of the engine work won't really do much if not properly tuned. The SMT6 could help you make the most of the parts you put on your engine.

I think that this would help out your stroker a whole lot. Making $300+ well worth it. You could pick up a MAF for ~$75. Would be a nice improvement.

Definately PM gunni @ gstuning
    He is extremely helpful, and should be happy to tell you more.

Good Luck M8!

Comment

More info at www.perfectpower.com

Its a module that goes into the ECU wiring harness.

Gains depends on your tuning, theres no really a pre-set gain.

Benefits, you can manipulate A/F signals and increase/decrease timing by 12 degrees, you can even make a MAF conversion or Big Six AFM conversion with it. Mspiegle made a MAF conversion that worked pretty well. You can also add an additional injector and have controll of it.

Someone correct me or add anything that i left behind...

Comment

Originally posted by skat 325is
        More info at www.perfectpower.com

Its a module that goes into the ECU wiring harness.

Gains depends on your tuning, theres no really a pre-set gain.

Benefits, you can manipulate A/F signals and increase/decrease timing by 12 degrees, you can even make a MAF conversion or Big Six AFM conversion with it. Mspiegle made a MAF conversion that worked pretty well. You can also add an additional injector and have controll of it.

Someone correct me or add anything that i left behind...
        you are damm right CABRON! :P

play with the Plus Width of th einjectors and such things too...just left one wire in mine, Ijectors! :D
        Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Working...
        X