Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tools/meters needed to trouble shoot idle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tools/meters needed to trouble shoot idle?

Alright so I know I have posted about solving my idle so I wont bother with that again. Ive been trying to do as much research as I can and know the bentley manual would be very helpful. I dont know too much about names of parts/tools required but have noticed a lot of people talk about measuring voltage for different things like: TPS, ICV, etc. Can Anyone clarify/suggest what tools Ill need to diagnose my idle issue. Valves have been adjusted, ICM joints have been resoldered, smoke test passed. Replaced: ICM, hoses, AFM. The previous owner had a note to a shop saying the idle problem started after the clutch was replaced.

idle

Not sure what the nature of your problem is but my last two E30's had a low idle problem cured when I put in an upgraded Mark D. chip. Idle went from 500 to 700. You can research the reason for this.

Comment

Originally posted by JIM1inWisconsin View Post
      Not sure what the nature of your problem is but my last two E30's had a low idle problem cured when I put in an upgraded Mark D. chip. Idle went from 500 to 700. You can research the reason for this.
      its a high idle that surges(drops off then revs back up)

Comment

Originally posted by WORLDCITIZEN View Post
        its a high idle that surges(drops off then revs back up)
        Sounds like Idle Control Valve to me. One of the better explanations / trouble shooting guide I have found is here:

2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Originally posted by WORLDCITIZEN View Post
          Alright so I know I have posted about solving my idle so I wont bother with that again. Ive been trying to do as much research as I can and know the bentley manual would be very helpful. I dont know too much about names of parts/tools required but have noticed a lot of people talk about measuring voltage for different things like: TPS, ICV, etc. Can Anyone clarify/suggest what tools Ill need to diagnose my idle issue. Valves have been adjusted, ICM joints have been resoldered, smoke test passed. Replaced: ICM, hoses, AFM. The previous owner had a note to a shop saying the idle problem started after the clutch was replaced.
          One of these?

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Craftsman 34-82141 8 Function Digital Multimeter at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Comment

^^^ A simple multimeter, a test light and two fused jumper wires are all that I've ever needed to do the complete diagnostics.

The E30 collection:
            1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
            1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
            1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
            1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
            1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
            1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
            1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
            2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
            2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Working...
            X