Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaking wheel diagnosis

Hey guys,

Im looking for some help figuring out what the problem is with my e30 is. It seems like it could be many things so i just need to narrow down the list to figure it out. So when i drive everything is smooth, but as soon as i start braking my steering wheel (and also wheels) begin to shake or vibrate. It isnt a super violent shaking but definitely noticeable , and it has gotten worse.

I figure it could be my pads (so i bought some new fronts), or warped rotors. I took a look today and nothing stood out to me as a cause of the problem. I read it could be my control arm bushings so i looked at those and they didnt look noticeably broken or worn down. At this point im kind of stumped because nothing looks too worn, but then again i havent had much experience with this area of a vehicle.

Any info or suggestions would help!
    Thanks
    sigpic
    91' 318is Brilliantrot
    Yes, it still has an m42

If it's just when you brake, most likely warped rotors.

You should check for worn ball joints by putting your car up and holding your tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and seeing if it has any play; itpfnit has play, worn ball joints

Comment

Originally posted by Maddog View Post
      If it's just when you brake, most likely warped rotors.

You should check for worn ball joints by putting your car up and holding your tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and seeing if it has any play; itpfnit has play, worn ball joints
      Alright awesome, thanks for the advice man. I'll check that out tomorrow!
      sigpic
      91' 318is Brilliantrot
      Yes, it still has an m42

Comment

You want to replace your pads and rotors and clean off any rust on the wheel hub with sandpaper. Rust deposits can cause the rotor to not rotate on its axis properly and can cause the vibration you're feeling. If you don't know when the rotors were done last, or if they look crusty and gross, get new ones

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
          You want to replace your pads and rotors and clean off any rust on the wheel hub with sandpaper. Rust deposits can cause the rotor to not rotate on its axis properly and can cause the vibration you're feeling. If you don't know when the rotors were done last, or if they look crusty and gross, get new ones
          Good idea, they are looking a little old. I'll get some new ones and see if that solves it!
          sigpic
          91' 318is Brilliantrot
          Yes, it still has an m42

Comment

Also, check your brake pistons and carriers to see if anything has seized up. This was the cause for poor braking, shaking and steering wander on my car.

Warped rotors tend to give a pulse feeling at the pedal. Is this happening?
            My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Originally posted by EyExR View Post
              Also, check your brake pistons and carriers to see if anything has seized up. This was the cause for poor braking, shaking and steering wander on my car.

Warped rotors tend to give a pulse feeling at the pedal. Is this happening?
              When you inspect the brakes, look for uneven brake dusting on the wheels across the axle as it can often indicate which brake may be dragging.

Comment

Working...
              X